Sleeping pads . . . ?

Dan Nelson

Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum
I had the original version of the Downmat and didn't like dealing with the bag to inflate the damn pad. Their new version has a pump built in, not sure if/how that affects the total weight.
The old, original pump-bag setup was inefficient -- the bag was too small and too hard to fill. The integrated pump works great but has its own drawbacks (somewhat slow, difficult to use efficiently if your hands are small). The new "schnozzel" bag pump is the best option yet -- big, ultralight stuff sack works as a pump bag. Two, or at most three, bags full will inflate the pad completely. Fast, easy, efficient.

Alex MacDonald

that's His Lordship, to you.....
I was seriously thinking about a NeoAir, but guess I'll have to look into one of these. Next season I'm planning on a backpack hunt for mule deer somewhere in Idaho. Don't need a huge trophy, but lugging out just about anything on top of a 30lb loadout is pushing the endurance envelope, especially if the rig's more than a couple of miles away!

Kent Lufkin

Remember when you could remember everything?
I just pumped up my new pad for the first time. The integrated pump is indeed a bit slow and inefficient, but the good news is that it doesn't add moisture as using lung power would. The large valves allow rapid deflation and the rolled up pad easily fit into its tiny stuff sack on the first try.

The pad is quite comfortable, even on my hardwood floor, and amazingly warm thanks to its 4.9 R value. Its real test will be a 6 night trip to northern Idaho in about 9 weeks.

K

Ed Call

Not at all - I use the Neoair as well. 72" pad comes in at 12oz and is very comfortable and warm.

I have 15-20 nights on it and no compalints.

http://www.rei.com/product/829851/therm-a-rest-neoair-xlite-sleeping-pad
I only have a half a dozen nights on mine. All warm weather campus so far. I have no complaints. I have not yet had the opportunity to tested in the cold. I imagine it will still be effective if there with the proper sleeping bag. Thank you for your support of input. I do find it exceptionally packable and lightweight. And I don't mind inflating it for the small package to which It packs down.

Dan Nelson

Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum
I have a neoair, like it so far. Did I go the wrong route?
No Ed, that's a fantastic line of pads as well. I've used most NeoAir models over the last few years and I can't think of any that failed to keep me warm, though some are a bit thin for side-sleepers (so I'm told -- hipbones can bump the ground on the lightest/thinnest versions). But that's the only knock on NeoAirs (FYI: I've got one I that I regularly work into my backcountry gear rotation -- depending on weight of other gear, destination, etc).

Just got back from REI with a SynMat7 LW. The regular is about twice as heavy as the same-sized ultralight, (39oz vs. 16oz for the UL) and packs to a much larger footprint. Since I'll use it mostly car camping, the size and weight aren't deal busters for me.

More significantly though, the regular is considerably warmer with an R-value of 4.9 vs. just 3.1 for the ultralight. The regular is a whopping $60.00 less at $114.00 vs. $175.00.

Both are nearly 3 times thicker and MUCH more comfy than my old piece of shit pad, something my old shoulders and hips will really appreciate.

K
Great thread. Sounds like I need to make a trip to REI.

Ed Call

Slept uncomfortably in the heat last night. Neoair delaminated in one spot and the thing went flat three times overnight. I need to see what must be done about the delamination. Then I will see a out finding and patching that leak.

Freestone

Not to be confused with freestoneangler
Slept uncomfortably in the heat last night. Neoair delaminated in one spot and the thing went flat three times overnight. I need to see what must be done about the delamination. Then I will see a out finding and patching that leak.
They have good service. Sent it back and they will repair or replace it. I heard they had some early delam problems and I don't think it is (user) fixable.

Ed Call

If you like it, how could it be you went the wrong route?
Excellent point Denny. All Reviews aside, the only one that matters is mine. I have heard criticism that they are too loud and not warm enough, so far my experiences do not validate either of these myths.

Latest posts