Report; South Fork Stillaguamish River

Went up to do a little fishing with Breck, but didn't manage to meet up. ( Note to self; find out the campsite # not just the campground) So I just drove up to a likely looking spot high on the river and walked in. It took awhile to find somewhere not already occupied, what with it being fourth of July weekend and nice weather.

I hit the water around lunchtime. Came out about five, fully satisfied. What with lunch, hiking around and re-rigging. I probably only had a fly in the water half that time. Raised a fish on almost every cast. Most were in the four to eight inch range. But a few were good sized for that small of water. Big fish of the day was a solid thirteen inches. Lots of fun on a 2 weight- fullflex and 6X tippet.

Fly of choice? I think anything dry would have worked. Dry being key. Very little action on a sunken dry fly. I started with a size 8 stimulator just because that's what I left on the rod last time I used it. Got lots of hits but too big for hookups. Switched to a size 12 and it was on. Later I noted some refusals so I switched to a 14 EHC. Back in the game. Must have hooked 30 fish or more. Most of the smaller ones were released by slacking the line. I was trying to stay with the biggest fly I could and still get hook ups. Didn't want to play with the little ones.

Really a very relaxing outing.

Like I said Jim. It was one of those days when just about anything dry would do. I think I could have tied on a piece of bark to a hook and got fish.

Breck

The Whisky Guy
I wondered what happened to you. I could swear I told you site #6. Oh well. Sounds like you did better than me. I ended up hiking into Boardman Lake and tossing spinners behind a bubble. No takes. Ended up tossing a stick for Gus to swim after instead.

Ed Call

Nice report Jeff. Was thinking of you on the first leg of our trip to Glacier NP when we settled on the Grand Coulee. I know you fish some places up around here.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I wondered what happened to you. I could swear I told you site #6. Oh well. Sounds like you did better than me. I ended up hiking into Boardman Lake and tossing spinners behind a bubble. No takes. Ended up tossing a stick for Gus to swim after instead.
You cross over Black creek on the way up there. You should of taken a little time and explored that creek. I know it's very woodsy up there. But at one time it was all clear cut.

Latest posts