Your favorite rod.

jaredoconnor

I've owned my 8' 4wt Redington Classic Trout for over 8 years and it is still my favorite rod of all time, despite being one of the cheapest rods I've ever bought. I've switched up my 5 and 6 weight rods pretty much every 2-3 years and have never felt particularly attached to any of them, but I'll only replace this 4wt if it breaks.

JamesRPL+

I was clearing out a closet during a bad time yrs ago. I found a rod tube I had no idea where or when I had collected it. turned out to be a 4 wt 9' 2piece rpl , for the last 6 or so yrs it's been my favorite high lake rod. Gary sold me some good stuff yrs ago but this 1 is my favorite. Never know what your going to find huh?

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Used to be a Gatti but now my Winston Boron iit 9' 4wt...
Gatti
Blast from the past. Haven’t seen that name brought up in a number of years.
I used to run into a couple while beach fishing for salmon that used those rods.
They may have been reps for that rod line or something like that. My memory isn’t what it used to be.
SF

A.A.

Meiser 11’1’ 7 wt S series switch. Light enough to be fun with trout. Can handle steelhead. Looks and feels amazing. Power and feel. I have several nice rods but this would have to be my #1!

Edit: Just realized it’s in my profile picture...and for good reason!

Dustin Bise

Hot-spotting Sheriff.
sage 99 5wt. hands down my favorite trout rod, though its not the best dry fly tool. but for me dry fly fishing is a rare treat, not the bread and butter of my time on the water.

Jim B

A late 1980s Powell Troutmaster - 9' 2 pc, with 2 tip sections, one 5-6 wt and one 6-7 wt. I put it together from Powell's blanks and used their cork grip and reel seat, and same thread colors. Great IM6 action, as the blanks were built by G Loomis for Powell. I've caught all kinds of trout with it, and it was my first Deschutes steelhead rod. Still using it on the beach for SRCs.

IveofIone

A mid 80's Powell Ultra 9' 4 WT, a superb little IM6 stick that I built about 35 years ago using all first class components. It still cast smooth and easy and is a delight for small stream fishing. My granddaughter is starting to sound interested in fly fishing and if so this will be her first rod.

Richard E

Gatti
Blast from the past. Haven’t seen that name brought up in a number of years.
I used to run into a couple while beach fishing for salmon that used those rods.
They may have been reps for that rod line or something like that. My memory isn’t what it used to be.
SF
Jeez, Stonefish, you sound like OMJ now!

Yep, they (Jim and Deanna, aka Castwell and The Ladyflyfisher) were serious shills for the Gatti rods. IF you saw that couple on the beach, you had to take a few minutes to hear about how awesome the rods were. Beautiful rods that were well built and good performing rods that, apparently, the market just didn't feel really offer anything that differentiated them from other premium fly rods.

Last edited:

Richard E

Scott Meridian 9' 6 is hands down my favorite rod.

Orvis Helios 3D 9' 6 is probably 2nd.

Hardy Zenith 8' 9" 7 one piece is right in the mix as well but I don't fish it anywhere near as much as I used to.

Lately I've been fishing a 9' 12 wt Redington Vapen black and have become pretty attached to that as well but mostly because I've been having so much fun catching albacore on it
Loomis GLX 6 weight (Classic) for me. That rod, 20+ years old, generates super high line speed, throws a line like a frozen rope, is super light, and is not broomstick stiff. The rod that started the super light fast action rod with a soul movement. I can use it for trout fishing, I can use it for light bonefish, I can use it for saltwater beach fishing, for summer steelhead - to me, it's the quintessential all-around one rod PNW fly rod...

Last edited:

Latest posts