Low holed and pocket picked

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
I toss a dicknite or a Wells Spoon with a bait caster when ever I want coho for dinner. I use a basic drift setup, swivel with about 8 to 10 inches of leader to weight and another length of leader about 30 inches to spoon. Cast and swing just like a fly. Use lighter line to the sinker so you can break it off when it hangs. Works very well if you know where to fish it. It is more fun with a spey rod but the bait caster is a more effecient means of fishing if meat is what you are after.
Damm ,next you'll be telling them how to slide plugs down your line for plunking

David Dalan

69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E
Bass_t, i have been fishing the reiter area since 1975. have had my encounters there over the years. one was my fault. that aside. if i bring my bug rod or drift rod for that matter i go expecting to fish around those types of folks. no worries. i have caught my share of steelhead from that area.
for bug rod water i like the run just below the cable hole on down almost to proctor ( which is a great hole on the hatchery side, long walk though). and dont forget the water upstream of the ponds all the way to index. try your trout tactics upstream. just use a bigger bug and maybe an indicator if that suits you.
hint : the farther you get from the ponds upstream the better your chances of picking up a fish on the floater/skating fly.
just my 2 cents.

+1

David Dalan

69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E
I may or may not have knowledge of another participant in this thread using a spey rod to pull plugs from a drift boat.
That's it...this fall I'm going to pull a pink worm behind a black mag wart on my 2 hander. Maybe with a bead trailer....I feel dirty just talking about it.

A semi digression...but...Tom McNally wrote about using spinners with a pork rind strip for bass in his book "Fly Fishing".
PG 307 if you find a copy of the book from 1978.