Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Backcountry Cooking Set Up

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  ambassadeur10000 
G
#1 ·
I got the photos together and posted this on another forum. I thought maybe people here would be interested.

My typical cooking situation is 15 - 30 miles from a trailhead in The Bob Marshall Wilderness in Montana. It's a 2400 sq mile area.

I cook under a rainfly often in summer like this as we move camp every couple of days.

In fall I cook in a wall tent.

This has a patio which is covered but not enclosed. It's great for setting up my firepan which I use for the DOs, or for grilling. This is really two wall tents together. One half is the mess, the other half is the cook tent part.

This is how all this gear gets from the trailhead to the camps.

This is how I get from the trailhead to the camps.

My kitchen

See less See more
G
#5 ·
MT Trapper, can I tag along? Looks awesome and I'd like to meet Bob Marshall...the wilderness version!
I've spent years exploring The Bob and I'm not even close to seeing it all. It's a great place and the fishing is just plain stupid easy. If you ever get the chance to go, grab it.

A lot of people offer to tag along. :) Keep in mind that the outfitter will put you to work saddling stock, hauling water, cutting firewood, and hauling all those heavy packs around. Sprinkling lime in the latrine after knocking down the "peak" is a special kind of task . . .

Trapper

G
#7 ·
I haven't had any problems with bears. I keep things very clean and burn garbage every day. The horses and mules make a LOT of noise whenever a bear, mountain lion, or wolf comes close to camp, so bears sneaking into camp, while possible, isn't too likely. The time when the bears are most likely to be a problem is when no one is in camp. We set up a 7K volt fence around the cook/mess tent. It's solar powered battery driven.

My biggest critter problem is mice and my nemesis, the pack rat.

Trapper

G
#9 ·
I really hate horse flies. They torture the stock and me, and are just nasty critters. The female horse flies, like mosquitoes are the only ones that are a problem. They use your blood to nourish their eggs. The males are content to mate and then suck a little nectar with their buddies and die.

The outfitter I work for (K Lazy 3) does drop floats. There are a couple of shops that will do that really, REALLY, long shuttle for you, but it comes at a price because it takes them all day. But, the float on the SF is worth all the trouble.

Trapper

G
#14 ·
I've been cooking in a wilderness area for the past month.
My view before it started snowing:

My view after it started snowing:

A large grunting visitor walked within 30 yards of my camp:

What my kitchen looked like. The leg extensions on the Camp Chef stove worked great. There were no stability problems even when I loaded it up with about 40 pounds of dishwashing water:

I needed to make enough apple pie for 15 hungry guys and there was no suitable pie pan(s).

Cast iron came to the rescue yet again.

I did have some time to ride Comanche in the snow.

Trapper

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.