Skykomish Steel - Egg Patterns?

SmokinAces

Keepin' It Reel
I floated the Sky from Sultan to Monroe last week. Boy is it low and the water is clear!!! I saw lots of fish (mostly dollies) all along the tailouts. My question is...is it too early to be going to beads and egg patterns without a lot of salmon in the river?

You sure those were dollies and not suckers? Not a lot of dollies/bulls in the sky and especially that stretch IMO. Tons of suckers and whitefish in there and they love to hang in the flat stretch towards the tailout in big pods. The give away with bull trout is the large white tipped pectoral fins.

SmokinAces

Keepin' It Reel
You sure those were dollies and not suckers? Not a lot of dollies/bulls in the sky and especially that stretch IMO. Tons of suckers and whitefish in there and they love to hang in the flat stretch towards the tailout in big pods. The give away with bull trout is the large white tipped pectoral fins.

You know Sean, that is a damn good point. I guess I'll tell you if they were a bunch of suckers when a catch a few. Some of those looked like good size fish though....hmmmm you really got me thinking now.

Porter

Both. Fish with a floater and long leader or Sink Tip 3 line and 3-5' 8# leader...all depends on depth/current and sometimes the gear I brought to the river tells me what to use.

Jeremy Floyd

fly fishing my way through life
I have to agree with Sean. There are a really low (in comparison to most PNW rivers) population of dollies in that river system.

SmokinAces

Keepin' It Reel
Okay - well here comes the report..... I didn't catch shit, at least with eggs patterns at the tailouts! I tried a bunch of different nymphs too, no luck. Only fish I hooked all day was a 4lb jack king swinging a purple egg sucking leach. Thanks Porter!!!!

Latest posts