Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Lost: A good quarter of an inch

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  David Loy 
#1 ·
Dang, I measured my height for the first time in a little over a year, and now I'm only 6' even. Last time I measured my height, I was a good 6' and 1/4". About 30 years ago, I was 6' and 3/4".

Lucky for me, I'm still at my HS graduation weight range of 156-158 lbs, so I'm not liable to blow away in the breeze.
My driver's license says 165, but that was issued a few years ago (I have to renew it again on my 63rd birthday day next month, so I'll change the wt), before I started surfing and paddling as much as I am doing now.
I had taken several years off from surfing, and was using an electric motor on my square stern canoe, and had gotten up to 175 or so in 2008, before I knew that I had better start reversing the trend.

#2 ·
Welcome to the club, Friend Jim, lol. My gorgeous, athletic, Amazon Daughter finds great pleasure in reminding me that she's almost as tall as I am now (6'4" to 6'3" via a long fall, then 6'3" to 6'2" via "attrition." But, I'm 50# over my high school 190; on the plus side, the majority of the extra baggage is fit, not fat. Enjoy the journey . . .

#3 ·
ROFL yeah...the journey south! I suppose that nearing 63, I may be "cresting the hilltop" and its a going to be a downhill run from here on out.
I recently cut my alcohol consumption back by about 33%, and cut out some other stuff that was slowing me down.
I've always had a hard time trying to bulk up any lean muscle mass. I'm built like a scarecrow without the straw stuffing. Resistance training and such just hardens me up and makes me feel stronger, without adding much bulk. Oh well...I was never meant to be "The Hulk."

I'm more interested in my long-term health.
In the last year, I've become a real nazi about avoiding refined sugar and anything made with it. No candy, pie, cakes, donuts, processed packaged foods, etc. except for the rare "field emergency energy kit" raid (Cliff Bar and a canned caffeine drink) when I have to do something like paddling a few miles against wind and tide and I've run out of real food and am feeling a bit tapped out.
I used to bring a Snickers bar along on my paddles, but I quit eating those a couple of years ago.
Other than the rare emergency, I avoid soft drinks completely. I prefer water or black coffee. I still like a good micro brew or two, though.:D
Someone served me a slice of lemon cream pie a few weeks ago, and I actually ate it!!! I didn't feel like arguing with my Dad's housekeeper who brought it over and offered me a slice, as she's a great worker and my Dad likes her. I didn't want to take the chance of insulting her. A good housekeeper is hard to find!

Right afterwards I went for a long walk (over a mile), and the next day I walked a mile down a beach for some cutthroat fishing, and a mile back, then after I came home, went surfing two days in a row, then paddled about 12 miles the next day, and always try to get out for a bike ride whenever I can find the time.
Whew! I burned it off!;)

I just try to prepare and eat real food. I'm a meat and potatoes, fish and chicken, fruits and veggies, nuts and whole grain eater. I don't need to watch my weight, but I have become convinced that refined sugar and most food additives and preservatives are poison. I haven't had any sugar or honey in my house in over a year, no jam or jelly on my toast, prefer butter over margarine, avoid a huge list of additives and preservatives and food stabilizers, etc, and I read the list of ingredients on the labels of any packaged food I buy, and reject anything that I don't want in me.

I usually avoid restaurants, unless I'm on the road, or out with someone. (A woman I know who owns a deli/bar asked me where I've been...I had to fess up to her that I'm avoiding deli food and bars).

Yep, and I buy "organic" whenever possible, which is difficult out here on the Beach without having to drive into Aberdeen.

I'm still behind on my projects, the main one finishing my fence and building a chicken wire enclosed garden, so that I can grow as much of my own food as possible. I can even visualize raising chickens in my future.

#5 ·
I was 6' 5" as a freshman in highschool. At 35 years old I hit my midlife spread. Gained 40lbs. and grew a INCH! Nurse said 6'6" and I said SHIT! Doc freaked out. Thought I had some kind of thyroid problem. Forward 15 hard years and I'm almost back to 6' 5.5" depending on the time of day. At this rate I'll never make 6'. ;)

#6 ·
It took a while to make 10,025 feet! Haleakala, April 1981
Water Sky Azure Line Slope

Sorry about the sideways angle! that photo was taken with an ancient Balda bellows "half-frame" 35mm camera that I rested on a rock, and used the timer. I could get twice the number of shots on a roll of film and it folded down nicely for bike touring. No light metering system other than guestimation.
I was 30, and weighed in at 165 lbs.
Its been downhill ever since.

#7 ·
I know what you mean, Jim. I've lost a little altitude over the years, too; I used to be an even 6'0", but I can't claim that anymore. I'm sad about that a little, but cleaning up my diet this year has helped me to lose 17 lbs since the first of January. If any of you finds them, I DON'T WANT THEM BACK!
D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.