What's the best way to land a >20lb Steelhead?

My tape measure turns 20 pounders into 15-17 pounders a lot. I suspect if others taped fish they would have a similar experience. Doesn't really matter tho it doesn't need to be 40" or even 30" to be an amazing fish. I'm a sucker for big chrome hens myself. They go absolutely ballistic, the explosive power is scary. When I dream of winter steelhead it's hens like this....

36" by 19" of oceanic perfection. What a show! I was happy just to have shared the moment with my buddy.

Attachments

Andy D

Luke,

Andy probably thinks he has an 11" schlong too, but I put the size of a softball at closer to 4" than 5". And the length of your fish at 6 2/3 softballs, or about 27" and 7 pounds. Close? What do I win?

And Kerry is wrong. Again. More than two of us in this thread already have landed steelhead over 20#. Assuming Wayne's old boot counts.

Sg
its 34 in and 14 pounds. But, your right a soft ball is 4in which would make that fish about seven pounds lighter than I originally figured.

The only 20lb fish I've caught was a carp. It had stretch marks. The biggest steelhead (great lakes, so...whatever you want to call them) I've even seen around here was around 15. I can't even imagine seeing a 20lbr in person. If I ever do I'd prefer it was a PNW salt fish to a GL fish. There's a picture of Dec holding a 20 lb hen in the thread about guides over on Speypages that shows up in my dreams a lot.

Salmo_g

Kerry,

I'm due for another, so yes I'm planning on it. 20# steelhead are uncommon, but not rare. However they are likely caught at a rate somewhat lower than their occurrence in the population due to having to be played longer, and longer a fish is played, the greater the chance of the hook coming loose.

Luke,

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm just doing the math. You said softball sized rocks. Ain't no way that fish is more than 7 rock diameters long. Get the rock size accurate, and the weight estimate can be close to actual.

Paul,

I think it's closer to linear than a significant power function. Check either Bell's book on swimming speeds or Powers and Orsborn. Max burst speed and cruising speeds are all linked to length, and large steelhead don't swim astronomically faster than average sized steelhead.

Sg

Paul Huffman

Driven by irrational exuberance.
Paul,

I think it's closer to linear than a significant power function. Check either Bell's book on swimming speeds or Powers and Orsborn. Max burst speed and cruising speeds are all linked to length, and large steelhead don't swim astronomically faster than average sized steelhead.

Sg
I suppose it's just my reaction and klutziness that goes exponential.

KerryS

Ignored Member
Kerry,

I'm due for another, so yes I'm planning on it. 20# steelhead are uncommon, but not rare. However they are likely caught at a rate somewhat lower than their occurrence in the population due to having to be played longer, and longer a fish is played, the greater the chance of the hook coming loose.

Sg
Rare, uncommon. Semantics. The main point of my post; few are hooked and fewer are landed. Which means most on this board will not even hook one let alone land it.

Latest posts