proper punctuation

Double spacing after end of sentence punctuation and colons went out with the advent of computers and non-monotype. Double spacing is still appropriate when using monotype fonts, however, such as Courier New. That said, I have a hard time breaking my double spacing habits because I learned to type on IBM selectric and continued using these machines during my time as a legal assistant. This was many years ago, but I have a hard time with old habits that are so engrained.

When is or was triple spacing ever appropriate? I've never used it.

It's doubly ironic that your second sentence is not a sentence. It's a clause that should have been tacked onto the preceding text, separated by a comma:

"In a thread about punctuation, it's ironic that your signature line is improperly punctuated, unless you are adamant that you actually worry".
It is, in fact, a sentence by all linguistic criteria. Your argument is that it's an independent clause, which could theoretically be separated by either a comma or a period.

Lugan

Joe Streamer
I'm wondering if it would be helpful if we moved on to spacing conventions.

When is single spacing appropriate?
How about double spacing?
Is triple spacing ever correct?

TC

I like burled maple spacers with dark reel seat hardware, but dark wood spacers with bright hardware.

Tim Cottage

Formerly tbc1415
Double spacing after end of sentence punctuation and colons went out with the advent of computers and non-monotype. Double spacing is still appropriate when using monotype fonts, however, such as Courier New. That said, I have a hard time breaking my double spacing habits because I learned to type on IBM selectric and continued using these machines during my time as a legal assistant. This was many years ago, but I have a hard time with old habits that are so engrained.

When is or was triple spacing ever appropriate? I've never used it.
I was referring to vertical line spacing not spacing within lines. Again I ask, "Is triple spacing ever correct"?

TC

I'm wondering if it would be helpful if we moved on to spacing conventions.

When is single spacing appropriate?
How about double spacing?
Is triple spacing ever correct?

TC
As someone who is very concerned about digital wastefulness, I prefer 1.5 line spacing, over double spacing, when separation is called for. Otherwise, we are unnecessarily wasting electrons, or bits, or whatever passes for a resource in digital communication.
D

As someone who is very concerned about digital wastefulness, I prefer 1.5 line spacing, over double spacing, when separation is called for. Otherwise, we are unnecessarily wasting electrons, or bits, or whatever passes for a resource in digital communication.
D

Setting line height would require CSS. So, it depends on whether that will be repeated more than once. ;)

PT

Physhicist
I think this issue is now a dead horse. This should be locked up. Where is a Mod when you need one.
Maybe they are helping Uncle Jack revive that horse....?? ;) I'd rather they be doing something useful like that than being too quick with the Moderatorizing buttons.

GAT

Dumbfounded
Sure, it's a silly thread but no one is holding a gun to your head to read it.... at least... I don't think they are.

Latest posts