Walking Trails with a Rod in Hand

Gregg Lundgren

Now fishing on weekdays too!
This probably wouldn't include real bushwhacking, but here is something I use to keep a broken-down rod from snagging the brush. Like many folks, I like to carry my 4 pc strung-up and broken down into 2 pieces so I am ready for action. I used to grab the two sections and go. Occasionally, the line, leader or misaligned rod tip would catch on a bush or a vine.

My solution was to use 2 pieces of two sided 1/2inch Velcro and wrap it around the two sections, line, and leader. It trims down the profile, and I don't have to keep re-gripping the two pieces to keep them in alignment. It takes mere seconds.

Anyway, someone has probably thought of this already, but it has saved me some grief, so I thought I would share. I thought of this when I was "tying" my tomato plants to their stakes. My Redington Torrent is green, so the green Velcro strips for tomatoes is a good match.:rolleyes:

Kent Lufkin

Remember when you could remember everything?
I had recently bought my Sage 389-4LL and was hiking back to the car through some serious brush after a delightful evening fishing. Ready to stow my new rod, I saw that I had only 3 of the 4 sections in hand.

I retraced my steps most of the way back, peering hard through the gloom, brush and leaves for the missing tip section. Not finding it after returning to the river, I turned back in despair. Less than 20 feet from the car, I found the tip, snapped where I had stepped on it, unseen on my first trip back to look for it.

My lesson: Do NOT unstring your rod for a bushwhack. It's all too easy for a branch or vine to snag a guide and pull a section loose. A tight line connecting all the sections will help prevent that from happening.

Fortunately, my only experience with Sage's outstanding warranty service resulted in a new tip section shipped back to my welcoming hands in less than 3 weeks - in August no less!

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers

K

Lucky guy, Kent. A broken tip is good for a warranty replacement. A lost tip is a three piece rod without a tip section. I dropped a tip section of my Redington 4-wt in the pouring rain at a treefarm lake last spring and didn't realize it was missing until I got home. I went back the next morning and found it, but I must have stepped on it, even though there wasn't a visual break; it broke on the first cast next time I used it.

I feel like I have broken more than my share of rods. Now I try to take the few moments required to break my rod down and put it in a sock before walking with it.

D

Maybe I'm just type A or afraid to lose something, but I pretty much break my rod down whenever I'm headed on the move. It just really doesn't take me long to rig it up. Even for a nymph rig type setup it's probably 2-3 minutes tops for me to rig from case to cast. Alot easier to be on the move in the mountains near where I live if the thing is cased, and jammed into my backpack even if it sticks out a little like a small chimney or radio antenna! lol

Jslo, You are a type A with patience.;) Are you on the move to just one destination or a dozen?
LOL. Usually if I'm hiking in the mtns I might be hitting 3-5 or more places in a hiking sequence. sometimes its a couple hundred meters between spots, sometimes a couple miles. If it's only a quick short open hike of course I don't break down for that. But anything longer or more treed and I break down.

In the canyon that I consider my home river, I rarely break down as I'll wade a large section, hike back to the truck on the side of the road after exiting the river- and leaving everything rigged- drive to the next wadeable section...

I never bushwhack with my rod uncased. Just too much to think about as I bushwhack lol.

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
I had recently bought my Sage 389-4LL and was hiking back to the car through some serious brush after a delightful evening fishing. Ready to stow my new rod, I saw that I had only 3 of the 4 sections in hand.

I retraced my steps most of the way back, peering hard through the gloom, brush and leaves for the missing tip section. Not finding it after returning to the river, I turned back in despair. Less than 20 feet from the car, I found the tip, snapped where I had stepped on it, unseen on my first trip back to look for it.

My lesson: Do NOT unstring your rod for a bushwhack. It's all too easy for a branch or vine to snag a guide and pull a section loose. A tight line connecting all the sections will help prevent that from happening.

Fortunately, my only experience with Sage's outstanding warranty service resulted in a new tip section shipped back to my welcoming hands in less than 3 weeks - in August no less!

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers

K
Breaking a 389 LL makes me whimper. That's a good rod. I could handle a broken SP or RPL but not a 389 LL.

Latest posts