Flies for silvers

Chucker

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll get a few things tied up and get back out there - though I might have a mooching rig in the boat as well :)

Do you have any tips or advice for working with Angel Hair? I've just gotten into saltwater fly tying and this material is giving me fits (not to mention all the complaints from my wife about sparkly debris all over the place).

I just bought a few packs of Shimmer Fringe, but haven't tried tying with it yet. It looks like it might be easier to tie with since it is pre-stacked. You simply cut the amount you need from the base and tie it in.

I use the Angel Hair tips, but tie in the Angel Hair a little bit differently than shown for Capt. Ray's Angel Hair Fly.

I'll fold the Angel Hair on the thread and slide it up the thread into position. Check for length to find out where to fold the Angel Hair onto the thread.

GG

mbowers

believe it is manufactured by Hairline. I ordered mine from Gig Harbor Fly Shop.
Shimmer Fringe is from Hareline and it's my new favorite material. Cotter pin, stinger hook, white marabou and some shimmer fringe and you've got a sweet moving baitfish fly that won't foul in about 2 minutes.

Shimmer Fringe is from Hareline and it's my new favorite material. Cotter pin, stinger hook, white marabou and some shimmer fringe and you've got a sweet moving baitfish fly that won't foul in about 2 minutes.

What style cotter pins do you use and where do you get them? I went down to ACE and picked some up for stinger hooks, but my clinch knots and no-slip loops broke easily when I tested them. The only ones that I found were oval shaped, so I'm sure that had something to do with it. Are the ones you use made from round material?

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater
TR,
Never used those before, though I've recommended Barlows in the past and buy a lot of stuff from them.
I just use heavy gauge spinner wire if I'm going to make my own.
SF

SF,
OK perhaps someone else. I do like them as the wire is not as thick to tie on as a cotter pin and they're still relatively inexpensive. Which heavy gauge spinner wire do you then use?
TR

Hahaha, thanks Leland, I've been using a micro version of it for a couple years on cutts, and your recent post got me excited to size it up for coho. It worked great, although I didn't set the hook back far enough on a couple and had to retie. The biggest producer was almost 6" from head to hook.

Latest posts