Bagged my first eastern gray squirrel today

WA-Fly

I shot an eastern gray squirrel today to skin and cure its pelt for tying material and to cook up. I saw an awesome recipe in field and stream called Braised squirrel and bacon pinot noir couldn't resist.

Roper

Idiot Savant
There must be a gazillion grey squirrels around our house in Everett. I could just see the neighbors freaking out if I bagged a few and dragged them home...:eek:
East of the mountains we have large brown squirrels, not sure what variety or name they have. Squirrel paprikash sounds good...

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
We're overrun by Fox Squirrels here . . . lawn-digging, limb-killing, dog-teasing tree rats. A lady in the neighborhood feeds them & I'm forever launching walnut hulls when I mow. Hank considers them great sport, however, but I think he has eliminated all of the dumb & inattentive ones.

WA-Fly

the thing is you can only kill eastern gray squirrels the western gray squirrel is endangered and all of the other squirrels are protected in Washington

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
the thing is you can only kill eastern gray squirrels the western gray squirrel is endangered and all of the other squirrels are protected in Washington
Their big brother better be standing right behind them when they chew holes in backpacks...:mad: Somebody may be up for a whuppin'.

Fox squirrels aren't protected either as a heads up.

ribka

Squirrel in the crockpot with some cut mushrooms, carrots red potatoes a cup of white wine and cream of mushroom is so good.

I miss hunting the stands of oaks on a crisp October day as a kid in NW WI.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
I think that the wind last night blew all of the Fox Squirrels out of the trees. Reckon I missed a wing-shooting/missing opportunity . . .

Scott Salzer

previously micro brew
WA-Fly:

You are correct to point out the eastern gray is fair game but not the western gray. I have only seen one westen gray in all my time in the woods, they are not what I would call common. WDFW does like to keep track of the western gray so if you happen to see one, let their bio's know about it.

Latest posts