Just got back from Duvall

Well the trip to the post office was a very big success. That said, I was surprised to see that there were no fishers along the banks of the mighty
Snoquaqmie on such a beautimus day.Temps in the mid 50s, water clear
as crystal, well almost so, and slowly meandering down the channel.

So I came home and took a nap.

Itchy Dog

Some call me Kirk Werner
Main Street, Duvall.

Americana at it very best. Well somewhat.
But Woodinville has FISH SCULPTURES.
Something that is sadly lacking in the culture of Duvall.
Home brew is one thing but an aluminum fish is something
to envy.
Au contraire. Our Municipal Brown Trout Hatchery is adorned with very attractive Fish Art (F.A.R.T.) At the risk of redundancy, here is some reporting on the matter.
http://unaccomplishedangler.com/2013/11/duvall-has-it-all-except-for-a-fish-hatchery/

Itchy Dog

Some call me Kirk Werner
Sadly, what Duvall lacks, is an AIRPORT. A hub for commerce and travel.
And a spur for the Sounder.
There actually used to be an air strip in Duvall.

" A public-use airport located a mile southeast of this east-side suburb (well it's a suburb now, back when the airport was in operation it was mostly farmland). Duvall had a hard surfaced runway oriented NW-SE. The airport appeared on aviation charts from the early 1970s though at least the mid 1980s. As far as know, it was never charted on topographic maps. Today, there's a dense housing development where the airport once stood. I've flown over the strained to spot any trace of the old strip, and although I've identified a small hunk of pavement at the edge of the housing development that I believe may be a remnant of the old runway, it's hard to say for sure. Like so many other lost airports, Duvall was eaten by houses." —From: http://www.lostairports.com/panel_19.html

There actually used to be an air strip in Duvall.

" A public-use airport located a mile southeast of this east-side suburb (well it's a suburb now, back when the airport was in operation it was mostly farmland). Duvall had a hard surfaced runway oriented NW-SE. The airport appeared on aviation charts from the early 1970s though at least the mid 1980s. As far as know, it was never charted on topographic maps. Today, there's a dense housing development where the airport once stood. I've flown over the strained to spot any trace of the old strip, and although I've identified a small hunk of pavement at the edge of the housing development that I believe may be a remnant of the old runway, it's hard to say for sure. Like so many other lost airports, Duvall was eaten by houses." —From: http://www.lostairports.com/panel_19.html
I must admit, Itchy, that landing a plane in an area that is robust with
houses, might present some logistic problems. Commercial airlines would also find it difficult to maintain operations under such a constraint.

That said, Woodinville, cousin city to the west, had at one time a growing hot air balloon game going. Perhaps that is because Woodinville has a surplus of hot air. But once again, urban sprawl moved in and shut it down. So apparently, DUVALL, queen of the PNW and Woodinville, have become victims of progress.

Itchy Dog

Some call me Kirk Werner
I must admit, Itchy, that landing a plane in an area that is robust with
houses, might present some logistic problems. Commercial airlines would also find it difficult to maintain operations under such a constraint.

That said, Woodinville, cousin city to the west, had at one time a growing hot air balloon game going. Perhaps that is because Woodinville has a surplus of hot air. But once again, urban sprawl moved in and shut it down. So apparently, DUVALL, queen of the PNW and Woodinville, have become victims of progress.
Let us not also forget the long-closed glider air field in Issaquah as well. That may seem to have no connection to Duvall, but there are members of the famous Issaquans, the Pickerings, on whose land the airstrip was built, residing in Duvall. Sigh.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Progress, you can love it or hate it. In the Duvall case you all probably hate it.

I've found out that when ever they build stuff here in Montana. It takes these builders forever to get anything built. They've been remolding the Town Pump(gas station) this last year. They started out about a year ago. They still ain't done. This is the only state that it takes a builder about a year to get a house build.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
The only thing that is half way good about Washington State is the amount of lakes you have. I can count the lakes in my area here in Montana on one hand. And all of them get a good coating of ice on them. Not into ice fishing and freezing my ass off. So I don't even figure on fishing any flat water at all. Anyway most of the lakes in my area are sitting above 8,000' and you need a 4x4 to reach them.

In my present condition, if it was not for lake fishing, I think I would have to hang up the rods. In fact I am thinking of thinning the herd because of
health reasons. I sure am not going to pack into some high mountain lake. If I have to walk more than 50 yards to the water, I guess it isn't for me.

Latest posts