favorite fly of the year???

John Hicks

Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits
I had most all of my success this year with my own variant of the Prom Dress. I call it the Japanese Lantern. It is quite a bit lighter and less bulky than the prom dress. I give everyone one guess as to what species I was targetting. ;)

Attachments

Drifter

I didn't develop any new trout flies this year but I did come up with a stillwater steelhead fly that worked wonders on stillwater steelhead!

2 days, 20 hooked and 15 landed, and all were chrome with one B-run lost that was huge------

I call them stillhead flies! They are tied in balance leach form, notice the post.
sexi steal 031.jpg sexi steal 009.jpg

Jslo

@troutset
This year it's been a elk hair caddis tan #12. Regardless of conditions I've been slaying them on top with it. When I feel like tying on a dropper or swinging something I have had great luck with #10 Ish's Drunken Hopper. Locally I fish mostly freestone rivers in Colorado for Browns and Rainbows. Most of the fish are in the 14-18 inch range.

Rob Ast

Fo trout this year is has been the deep dish callebaetis (www.flyfishfood.com). It has saved several outings. For salmon I would have to go with my Hi-tie baitfish. Not sue it worked any better than a clouser, but it fished just fine and was so much nicer to cast all day.

dogsnfish

Soft hackles. Had one week on my favorite cutthroat stream in N. ID. where I caught six that went 16-18" and all were on soft hackle droppers. More support for the blind squirrel theory! I usually do not catch that many nice cutthroats in a summer.

Codioos

I know most ppl have a favorite fly, I know I do. But this year I also had a fly that did really well for me. It was my go to fly. It just seemed like when nothing was working I could tie one of these on and get some action. It was a fly that I normally don't use or for that matter have never had much luck with it. It was a royal wulff. I just seemed to land fish when I put this on. So now my question to all of you is what was your go to fly this summer, one that you wouldn't call your favorite but seemed to work really well for you this year?
I never use the wulff, but this year the CDA was hot for it. That is my fly for the year too.

Eric Denny

Summer is over but I'm still fishing!!
I never use the wulff, but this year the CDA was hot for it. That is my fly for the year too.
I haven't used it that much until this year either but it worked great there and on the joe I did pretty good with it. I don't know why?? Glad to see I wasn't the only one who had luck with it and we still need to get out and fish together!

Codioos

I haven't used it that much until this year either but it worked great there and on the joe I did pretty good with it. I don't know why?? Glad to see I wasn't the only one who had luck with it and we still need to get out and fish together!
I am usually a stimulator junkie on those rivers. But the fish were keyed in on bettles and mayflies, and that's why I decided to tie the wulff on. Speaking of, have you tried a beatle yet? Or black ant?

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I have no idea what is my favorite fly. I haven't been out for almost two months. It's like it's Murphy's Law, what will go wrong did

Latest posts