Spoiler Alert: Crawdad flies for the swap

Pat Lat

Mad Flyentist
Tied my first 5 crawdads for the trout streamer swap tonight and decided they needed their own thread. Hard to get the carapace and tail to go on straight, but getting easier. I really like the pheasant shoulder claws and decided to add some more purple to the pattern since the feathers already have a purple iridescence. I also used dyed green GP tippet for a little more color variation. And good old sally hansens nail polish for the finishing touches. Since I always hear 'purple for the yak' I think these will be dubbed Yakimaw-dads. Hope you guys like them. I almost want to keep them for myself, but I can always tie more.
IMG_8143.JPG

Attachments

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
I'll only slightly feel embarrassed taking one from you in the swap. I can understand your want to keep them for yourself, you are a talented tier and your flies are not only functional but also works of art. Most of us just tie functional patterns.

David Dalan

69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E
I'll only slightly feel embarrassed taking one from you in the swap. I can understand your want to keep them for yourself, you are a talented tier and your flies are not only functional but also works of art. Most of us just tie functional patterns.

+1

That's some hot stuff pat.

McNasty

Canyon Lurker
!!!!!!!! i dont think ive got a tie from you yet ive wanted to fish, and those are no exception. damn!! please do an sbs =)

KevinLS

Can't wait to get that fly in the water though I'm worried about loosing it. Yes sbs would be great, thanks for the great tie.

Pat Lat

Mad Flyentist
Well an SBS is a pretty tall order, Those who get them in the swap will see that they're not too special, I think its more about choosing the right materials and color palate to make flies look buggy and different without too much manipulation. They are fairly durable as well, I usually use one all day or more unless I snag it in a tree out of reach. And the claws, which I thought would be too fragile when I first started using them, rarely break off.
If you do fish the pattern, which I highly suggest, you will notice that it swims more like a panicked crawdad. The butt end slips down in between the rocks and makes the fly look like a crawdad backing down into a burrow. Also if you hop it around using little twitch strips the tail looks like its paddling. Then let it drop all of a sudden and it looks like the attack pose that, to a hungry westslope, probably looks just like the other hundred or so dumb crawdads that tried to put their dukes up, and ended up as dinner.

McNasty

Canyon Lurker
i do the same thing with some of my crawdad patterns. a tuft of red marabou as a tail works good and tucks up like a real tail when stripped and flares back out when paused.

Latest posts