ribbed barbless hooks

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish

Steve Unwin

I wonder how easy they are to remove from one's arm?

I might consider a barbed hook if my plan was to keep a fish, but I doubt it.

After catching a barbed hook in my chin a couple weeks ago I no longer forget to pinch them.

freestoneangler

Not to be confused with Freestone
Very strange shape, that's for sure. I should think any surface other than smooth and round would enhance hook keeping capability, but I'll stay old school until the evidence is so overwhelming I can no longer resist.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater
Sickle hooks work really well. They have excellent fish holding capabilities.
At different company, Matzuo used to make some great sickle. I used to use them on all my spinners, spoons and jigs when I gear fished.
When they changed wire production from Japan to China and their product quality when way down hill.
SF

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater
Bingo! I don't think they had fly anglers in mind when they came up with the hooks.
.... but they would work very nicely as a stinger hook.

Gamakatsu Big River hooks have a very similar sickle design.
http://www.gamakatsu.com/fishing-hooks.php?pid=1022

If people ever take off their fly fishing blinders, they've find there are tons of "gear" related products they can incorporate into their small fly fishing world.
SF

10incher

Looks to me like it would take as much extra pressure to set them as to remove them. Therefor they basically saw a bigger hole. Therefor there is a bigger hole for the hook to play out of. The concept of the ribs is friction and it applies going both ways. I don't buy it. It's a marketing gimmick.

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
Looks to me like it would take as much extra pressure to set them as to remove them. Therefor they basically saw a bigger hole. Therefor there is a bigger hole for the hook to play out of. The concept of the ribs is friction and it applies going both ways. I don't buy it. It's a marketing gimmick.
I was thinkin of that Trojan advertisement on T.V., maybe the ribs will make the fish fight more!!!