Would this work as a shooting basket?

Rob Hardman

Absolutely. If you could rig up some vertical dowels/pins in the bottom, you'll help keep your line from tangling.
Where/what is that?

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater
Just my opinion, but I don't think it has enough width in regards to how far out it would stick out in front of you. 7" doesn't give you much room to strip your line into.
If you really get into salt fishing, bite the bullet and get either the Linekurv or Orvis basket. It will be money well spent.
SF

Cuttbow82

One reservation that i would have with that is the fact that it will fill up with water. There was a nice DIY thread utilizing a child's step stool from IKEA. That one did not have holes in it. Search function should find it.

I would agree with Stonefish about the Linekurv basket. I recently picked one up at Puget Sound Fly Co and love it. I believe Pacific Fly Fishers and Gig Harbor Fly shop both carry them as well.

Just my opinion, but I don't think it has enough width in regards to how far out it would stick out in front of you. 7" doesn't give you much room to strip your line into.
If you really get into salt fishing, bite the bullet and get either the Linekurv or Orvis basket. It will be money well spent.
SF
I used my new Linekurv yesterday and absolutely loved it. Previously, I was using an collapsible one that picked up at Pacific Fly Fishers (Peter Jeffries?) and routinely walked off the beach frustrated beyond belief with it...

Linekurv is awesome...no kinks, knots, or frustration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

It would work, but I don't think 7 inches is wide enough. I've made two, one of which was just under 8 inches wide that just pissed me off. Made another from a "step stool" similar to the Ikea model. Mine came from Target in the baby department and works great.