Shank Flies

Andy D

there are all kinds of shanks out there. My favorites are waddington shanks which partridge just started making again. I was using senyo shanks, but found the wire very flimsy and I did not like the lentgh of the returns on the loops, except on the 25mm size. Also, any steelhead hook cut off at the bend after tying make good shanks.

there are all kinds of shanks out there. My favorites are waddington shanks which partridge just started making again. I was using senyo shanks, but found the wire very flimsy and I did not like the lentgh of the returns on the loops, except on the 25mm size. Also, any steelhead hook cut off at the bend after tying make good shanks.

Thanks. Tried them all and my favorites are still Twist-A-Shanks. What are your favorite WA and OR Winter Steelhead Rivers? Being a relative newcomer, I have to start all over out here. It's really an adventure and I'm truly enjoying the beautiful Rivers.

A cheaper alternative is to buy some large salt-water hooks like the Mustad 34007. I use these for big articulated flies like MOALs and just cut off the hook after tying.

Andy D

Thanks. Tried them all and my favorites are still Twist-A-Shanks. What are your favorite WA and OR Winter Steelhead Rivers? Being a relative newcomer, I have to start all over out here. It's really an adventure and I'm truly enjoying the beautiful Rivers.
what area are you currently living in?

Paul Huffman

Driven by irrational exuberance.
A cheaper alternative is to buy some large salt-water hooks like the Mustad 34007. I use these for big articulated flies like MOALs and just cut off the hook after tying.
Like this idea. What size 34007 gives a shank about the same size as a waddington 25 mm?

Latest posts