First saltwater fish

In January, I set a goal for myself. I would catch a fish each calendar month of 2013. So far I had caught my January-September fish. however, having just bought a house and switched to working 10 hour days, I found myself fishless at the tail end of October.

My friend convinced me to put my driftboat into the ocean in a small protected bay in Trinidad, CA. I was extremely nervous about this, but he convinced me that it would be okay. I really wasn't rigged up to fish the salt, but I dug out a barely used sinktip line for my 5WT and called it good.

We rowed out and I was starting to feel a little better about having the driftboat out on the ocean, which earlier I had regarded as a suicide mission. We did some laps around some big rocks with nothing much to show for it.

We rowed out to a rock called "Little Camel Rock" and almost immediately I had a fish on. HOLY SHIT! My rod doubled over and some serious line starting running out. I got control of the fish and got it to the boat.

BLACK ROCKFISH
Rockfish.jpg

It was my first fish from the ocean on a fly, and my October fish of the month!

My friend picked up 3 rockfish and I landed another one to close out the day. He also hooked into what must have been a big ling cod that broke him off.

In summary, holy shit! That was fun!

I imagine the rockfish would put a serious bend in a 5wt. I use a 10wt off the jetty (since I get the occasional ling) and the big rockfish will put a decent in that.

If the fish are biting it can be a real blast with some non-stop action.

I imagine the rockfish would put a serious bend in a 5wt. I use a 10wt off the jetty (since I get the occasional ling) and the big rockfish will put a decent in that.

If the fish are biting it can be a real blast with some non-stop action.

I'm thinking I'm going to need to make fishing for them a habit and invest in some actual saltwater gear!

I use scientific anglers 30ft shooting tapers with an intermediate airflo ridge running line.

For flies, I use clousers, sculpin type things or pretty much anything that looks like a baitfish. I've even used dick nites with great success.

Latest posts