Eastern Wa pheasants

Bob Rankin

Chasing fur and fish every second I get :)
Went out with my GSP Maggie pheasant hunting for a few day. Monday was real windy
And it was hard hunting. We ended up with 2 birds. One bird I hit at 45 to 50 yards
It hit the ground running. Maggie locked that runner down after a hundred yard chase
In 30 mph winds. Tuesday was a beautiful day and cold. We must have hiked 10 miles
For 3 birds. I couldn't be happier with my dog, both of us are having a
Hard time walking because we are so sore! All in all nothing better than walking
Some beautiful country with my shotgun and my dog!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Bob Rankin

Bird numbers way down! All the farmer's seem to think so to. We hiked our butts off, I have blisters to show for it! We hunted hard!

That looks awesome! Quick question about pheasant hunting, since I have never done it...I do not currently own a dog but really want to get out and try this, and recommendations or tips for hunting with no dog?

Bob Rankin

Yes it was the same area Bill. And Harry pheasant hunting is hard without a dog, but can be done. If you think you won't to start, then by god you should! A dog just makes it that much better.

David Dalan

69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E
That looks awesome! Quick question about pheasant hunting, since I have never done it...I do not currently own a dog but really want to get out and try this, and recommendations or tips for hunting with no dog?

In college a friend and I would walk together and flush them. It can be done :)

I think, if I am honest, I was more or less the surrogate dog.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
Walk slowly, stop often. Use terrain features as blockers . . . roads/trails, ground bare of cover, etc. Push the birds toward an area where they'll have to flush. Mark downed birds well & don't hesitate to take a follow-up shot; you'll rarely catch-up with a cripple on-foot. Good luck!

In college a friend and I would walk together and flush them. It can be done :)

I think, if I am honest, I was more or less the surrogate dog.
This made me laugh. I've been there. If bird numbers are that low it can be done without a dog but you need to be real dedicated and a good shot.

Nice pictures. The 1st pic looks just like central ND. But we wouldn't be walking far for 3 birds.

Latest posts