Reel recomendation for steelhead

The other reel I use is a SpeyCo circle spey. Great reel and it is nice to know that a guy made it for me in his shop in Wisconsin. Those reels are tough and reasonable for what they are.
+1 for Speyco.
Handmade in Green Bay, WI by guy that has been swinging flies for 20 years. Click & pawl with a lifetime, transferable guarantee. Rock solid reels. Can't beat 'em. Many options are available for your customization. You will pay more than $150, however.

I just ordered a Skandi model in silver/black with the snake roll handle to pair up with my TCX 7112. It should be here in about a week. ;)

Itchy Dog

Some call me Kirk Werner
I have a Ross CLA 5 for sale in the classifieds. Unused with backing and running line. The CLA is a solid, no frills reel with a legion of followers. Good bang for the buck.

The reel was a St Aiden knock off (3 3/4''). I have another reel same size that fits a 400gr Skagit and 150 yds. of backing.
I have the Daiwa (720, I believe) badged version of that. Solid reel for very little coin (I think I paid $40 for mine or something along those lines). It has a pretty large capacity with a very solid check.

I have the Daiwa (720, I believe) badged version of that. Solid reel for very little coin (I think I paid $40 for mine or something along those lines). It has a pretty large capacity with a very solid check.
I have an olympic and roddy badged verson. I think each one has been right around $40 shipped. I did have a pawl shatter on the roddy, after multiple LARGE Chinook ate my steelhead flies. I'd like to see if I can find some replcement guts from a st aiden.

Velocity 4 for $149.99 and Litespeed 4 for $195.99 @ steepandcheap.com, Gear Cache. Crazy prices. Just picked up a couple myself.
X2, at these prices they're cheaper than a Konic or Guru; though I prefer the 3.5 for sub-12' rod. Have 8 or 9 Lamsons and all dead-ass sturdy and service is the best. Hardys are nice but way too much $$$$ for what they are, the old Young, Beadrueax or similar click/pawls are much better value.

hydrological

beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto
second for speyco. made by one dude in the us of a. completely bulletproof.
disc drag reels for steelhead are kind of gay. i mean really, what are you going to do with your other hand anyway? :eek:

Latest posts