Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Reel recomendation for steelhead

Spey 
5K views 39 replies 24 participants last post by  MAD777 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a good reel for steelhead I was thinking an echo ion or Lamson guru, thanks.

#4 ·
Great question, and I can tell you I owned them both. First I will be fair and say that you are dealing with apples and oranges. One reel costs 100.00 bucks and the other well over 250.00. With that said, I did not like the Echo Ion for reasons that the drag squealed badly, and was very annoying. Whenever you would strip line you would get squeak squeak squeak. When I jumped up to the Guru, I was very impressed, at the craftsman ship, click volume, and drag. However, I doubled my cost to get there. The ION will surely land fish for you too.

#6 ·
I have fished Ion, Guru and Velocity and liked them all. I started with the Ion and moved up to the Guru, only reason was I found one cheap also the same reason that I went from the Guru to the Velocity. I was fonder of Lamson only because they felt like more of a reel but to tell you the truth all reels landed fish without problems. I wish I stopped with lamson and never fished a Hardy :(

#17 ·
See, and I'm opposite. I prefer to NOT use a reel's drag and it seems inconsistent and cause the rod tip to jump which can break tippets. Even if a reel has a great drag, I prefer to use my palm to control runs. My hand hasn't let me down yet. (don't read into that sickos!):p

#14 ·
I think all my steelhead reels are Hardys. They must work pretty well. Been using them for 40 years. I do have a few others, but they've never gotten much use. Except for the custom Shamburg I've been using the last couple years. But it's not a rational choice.

Sg

#21 ·
I use several reels for steelies and on none of them do I set the drag any tighter that just to prevent over-run. This year, I'm fishing primarily with a Young Beaudex. Great reel...I'm really starting to enjoy reels without a rim control more and more. IMO, it helps me feel more connected to the fish (a combination of shorter glass rods plus that Beaudex). I also recently picked up a Valentine 95 (basically a Medalist on steroids) for both steelhead and any saltwater stuff that a 8/9wt is required. The one other reel that I really enjoy is a Hardy St. Aiden clone...there are multiple companies that put these out, mine is a Daiwa. Great reel and one of the loudest that I've ever heard. Last year I used a Hardy Marquis but ended up selling it off as it was redundant and I liked the other reels better (yes, even the Daiwa).

#23 ·
I use several reels for steelies and on none of them do I set the drag any tighter that just to prevent over-run. This year, I'm fishing primarily with a Young Beaudex. Great reel...I'm really starting to enjoy reels without a rim control more and more. IMO, it helps me feel more connected to the fish (a combination of shorter glass rods plus that Beaudex). I also recently picked up a Valentine 95 (basically a Medalist on steroids) for both steelhead and any saltwater stuff that a 8/9wt is required. The one other reel that I really enjoy is a Hardy St. Aiden clone...there are multiple companies that put these out, mine is a Daiwa. Great reel and one of the loudest that I've ever heard. Last year I used a Hardy Marquis but ended up selling it off as it was redundant and I liked the other reels better (yes, even the Daiwa).
Cool. I have been considering fishing a glass one hander. My shoulder have really improved recently and the idea of fishing one handed more is appealing. I can't see giving up the double to fish tips in the winter too much, but really need to do it for dry line fish. There is a smaller stream that I'd like to fish with glass for summer fish. Additionally, I could see using it on a couple of the smaller streams I fish in the fall.

My shoulders have been bad for so longI have essentially given up trout fishing etc. I could see using it on smaller peices to ease myself back into casting single handers. You gotta love how you can feel a glass rod load. Landing fish is also a joy, as I recall.

What other things do you like about steelheading with a single hand glass rod? What parts do you dislike?

Go Sox,
cds

#25 ·
Thanks Randall. I need to build the glass blank that I have for next fall.

Last year I fished with a couple of Canadians who were atlantic salmon fishermen and had only fished steelhead a bit. They fished singles w/ JW Youngs where everyone was swinging double handers. They did quite well. It looked like a hoot.

Do you have a fighting but on your glass road to 2-hand easier. I've thought it may be easier to teach 2-handed casting to my daughters than single, but maybe I could do both w/ a 9 foot 8 wt glass w/ a butt.

It sure is nice to have a flyfishing conversation here :).

Go Sox,
cds

#28 ·
You'll notice that there is a wrap of tape above the cork. I got impatient waiting for my cork to drop-ship from Portugal and put a temporary handle, on because I wanted to fish it.

That fish took about half my backing. Oh yeah--getting the thread back on track. The reel was a St Aiden knock off (3 3/4''). I have another reel same size that fits a 400gr Skagit and 150 yds. of backing.

Attachments

#36 ·
Velocity 4 for $149.99 and Litespeed 4 for $195.99 @ steepandcheap.com, Gear Cache. Crazy prices. Just picked up a couple myself.
X2, at these prices they're cheaper than a Konic or Guru; though I prefer the 3.5 for sub-12' rod. Have 8 or 9 Lamsons and all dead-ass sturdy and service is the best. Hardys are nice but way too much $$$$ for what they are, the old Young, Beadrueax or similar click/pawls are much better value.

#31 ·
The other reel I use is a SpeyCo circle spey. Great reel and it is nice to know that a guy made it for me in his shop in Wisconsin. Those reels are tough and reasonable for what they are.
+1 for Speyco.
Handmade in Green Bay, WI by guy that has been swinging flies for 20 years. Click & pawl with a lifetime, transferable guarantee. Rock solid reels. Can't beat 'em. Many options are available for your customization. You will pay more than $150, however.

I just ordered a Skandi model in silver/black with the snake roll handle to pair up with my TCX 7112. It should be here in about a week. ;)

Reactions: JesseC
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.