Where can I get a motor like this.......

IveofIone

......but slower? This one is in the 30+ rpm range and I would like to replace it with a 5-11 rpm model. It is way too fast for drying rod wraps. I thought I should be able to just Goggle it and get some results but so far no luck. There is perhaps a speed control that would slow it down but it no doubt cost more than the little motor and is quite bulky.

I will be building a 6' 3wt rod soon (1 piece) and don't want it to be buggy whipping at 30 rpm.

Ive
IMG_2530.JPG

I'm not laughing. I use the same thing, a BBQ rotisserie motor. It's hard finding a reasonably priced motor that spins slow enough.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
How about a sewing machine motor. You can regulate the speed on one of those. All you need an old electric one from a flea market. It can't cost all that much.

Greg Holt

......but slower? This one is in the 30+ rpm range and I would like to replace it with a 5-11 rpm model. It is way too fast for drying rod wraps. I thought I should be able to just Goggle it and get some results but so far no luck. There is perhaps a speed control that would slow it down but it no doubt cost more than the little motor and is quite bulky.

I will be building a 6' 3wt rod soon (1 piece) and don't want it to be buggy whipping at 30 rpm.

Ive View attachment 34906
I bought a 4 RPM 110volt synchronous motor from the Scientific surplus outfit back east. It is a model AC-1011 made by Macro-Yang corp R.O.C., and I think I paid less than $10 for it ten years ago. It looks very similar to yours and mounts the same. The only modification required would be to build and attach a shoe or socket to the output drive to fit the rod butts (I modified a 1" copper sweat cap from my plumbing inventory). Also you have to attach a standard electrical plug to the leads. I used an extension cord with the rotary switch and wire-nutted it together. If you can't find one, drop me a PM and I'll sell mine, as it is a spare at my advanced age and state of career in rod building.

Post script: I don't think synchronous motors like ordinary speed controls, their operation is based on cycles/second, rather than voltage pressure. I could be wrong...

Probably the cheapest way would be to search synchronous motors on ebay.

Your could search for small synchronous gearmotors on Grainger or McMaster Carr.

Latest posts