5 Stages

David Dalan

69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E
So I'vee seen this before, but what do you think? What stage are you. I think I wander between stages at times. Just posting because I think its interesting fodder for conversation. Feel free to argue about beads as well.

5 Stages of fishing...

Stage 1: I just want to catch a fish!
Stage 2: I want to catch a lot of fish!
Stage 3: I want to catch big fish.
Stage 4: I’m just happy to be out fishing.
Stage 5: I want to pass on my knowledge and passion for fishing.

PT

Physhicist
Without TRYING to sound like an egotistical prick, stage 5.

I have more fun rowing the boat, choosing the right gear, and pointing out good water than fishing myself. Mostly fish with my fiancé or my friend Duane and I think they appreciate the effort I put in to help them find some fish.

Linda's first steelhead and the smile says it all. My cousins holding those fish. Their first steelhead, also. Duane's done it before but only gets out maybe 3 times a year.

Forks 04042013 045.JPG
236.JPG
IMG_0547.JPG

David Dalan

69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E
I don't think you sound like a prick at all. I'm certainly stage 4-5-ish. I had more fun with the kids showing them how to whack stocker trout this spring then I did catching steelhead last winter. Hearing them squeal with joy is pure bliss.

PT

Physhicist
With Linda and Duane, we strictly flyfish for trout on rivers and lakes. Steelhead, we toss gear. Both would rather flyfish trout than fish hardware for steelhead. But, flyfishing for steelhead is out of the question, according to them, because they're not out enough to become proficient at it.

chadk

Be the guide...
BS Jim - before you moved, you were solidly in 4 [edit - meant to say 5... duh]. I know, because I benefited from it more than once, as have others I know.

I can be any one of the 1-5 depending on the day. But lately, I'm in 6. Taking a break from fishing (with some exceptions) and doing some hunting. Archery deer is my next step.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
BS Jim - before you moved, you were solidly in 4. I know, because I benefited from it more than once, as have others I know.

I can be any one of the 1-5 depending on the day. But lately, I'm in 6. Taking a break from fishing (with some exceptions) and doing some hunting. Archery deer is my next step.
You know me, don't you. I really only fish alone unless there is somebody with me.

Long time no hear from you. You still have that map and vise I gave you.

Stage 1: I just want to catch a fish!
Stage 2: I want to catch a lot of fish!
Stage 3: I want to catch big fish.
Stage 4: I’m just happy to be out fishing.
Stage 5: I want to pass on my knowledge and passion for fishing.
Depends on my "frame of mind".

As I get older, I become more and more aware of how generous I can be, and how selfish I can be... all at the same time.

g_smolt

Recreational User
the missing stage is 3a, to wit - Difficult fish (or condition, or situation, or presentation).

I would also make a case for the next stage being "Catch a lot of big, difficult fish by making them do what you want"...and that's where I am stuck.

the missing stage is 3a, to wit - Difficult fish (or condition, or situation, or presentation).

I would also make a case for the next stage being "Catch a lot of big, difficult fish by making them do what you want"...and that's where I am stuck.
Nothing wrong with that statement.

Every Super Bowl winner wants what? - Another Super Bowl ring, and then another,...

Latest posts