The forum rules regarding political discussions

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
I enjoy the fact that this site is a place to get away from politics and other bothersome parts of life. In that way it is like flyfishing.

Sometimes I'd rather not know someones politics. That way I can keep from wanting to throat punch them. It makes me a happier person.

Go Sox,
cds

I enjoy the fact that this site is a place to get away from politics and other bothersome parts of life. In that way it is like flyfishing.

Sometimes I'd rather not know someones politics. That way I can keep from wanting to throat punch them. It makes me a happier person.

Go Sox,
cds
You're just in a good mood cause of those SOX!

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
Chris, why not open an "NFR" forum? I visit another board that has a place specifically for off-topic stuff, keeping it out of discussions where it doesn't belong. And it's a place to move discussions to from other forums, if they get out of hand.
The reason this is set is that way back when all Not-Fishing-Related topics were supported politics was a hot topic that frequently crashed the atmosphere of the board. It triggered me making an all NFR sub-forum, moving everything NFR into it and saying good riddance. Not so fast, unfortunately. The political discussion in the NFR area got pretty heated and along the way quite a few people were pissed at each other. The NFR forum's negative tone from the in-fighting there starting spilling over onto the rest of the site. It was then up to me to clean things up. Cleaning things up in a situation like that, by the way, equates to 50+ personal messages to individuals, not just some single blanket post to knock it off.

I was a fairly new Mod back then. That forum was a friggin nightmare! Chris is spot on. It caused nothing but hard feelings, and those who were fighting in the NFR forum came onto the main forum and brought it with them. People don't seem to realize how much work it causes us (since we're all volunteers) when these threads come up. The amount of reports and complaints is staggering.

Ed Call

Thanks Chris. You forced me to LIKE your post. If members don't come here for the fly fishing chatter, seeking conflict through political discussions, they are in the wrong place to start with. There are countless political machine sites. There is only ONE Washington Fly Fishing.

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
That's the part that surprises me. I can't fathom being such a wussy I would need to tattle to a mod.
Unfortunately, unless you're a mod you can't see our report box. But on the type of threads in question, I'm sure the other mods will back this, the amount of whiny reports we get are staggering. Usually by the person who created the mess.

Latest posts