MA !! Euphasid action is Heating Up!

wadin' boot

Donny, you're out of your element...
Today I fished a MA !! beach that has been kind in the way that SRC beaches are typically kind to me, maybe three-five fish in the vicinity that are willing to strike, with a good several hours put in to get them. They won the day though Cutts 4, Boot 1. Probably the numbers would have been better if my hooks were sharp. Or if I actually cared if I landed them or not. Overall a great day out on the water.

Normally when I spy a jumper I'll hone in on the general vicinity with a bait fish pattern of some sort, I'll mess about with blue, green, white, brown, pink combos, weighted, unweighted and so on. Today that worked somewhat. I didn't see any bait fish at all, which is a little odd.

On the current a long line of vertically oriented floating eelgrass was forming a natural barrier to the cleaner, faster currents on one side and debris/jelly/fall leaves/end-season sea lettuce on the other. I noted, as I stood in the cleaner current, that now and then these little brownish krill things about an inch long would shoot out of the floating eelgrass and go god knows where. So I found what was most euphasid in my mess of fish-imitating flies, tied it on, cast as close to the eelgrass line as I could get and stripped upcurrent.

Fish on.

Notably the water's surface was often carrying lots of debris, but unlike in summer, there was little below the surface. the intermediate let the fly track through dross without picking up a bunch of junk.

In retrospect the fish pattern I hooked the most on was tiny, brown and white and could have been euphasid-like given it was inch and a half at most. maybe I just clip the back 2/3rds off of more of my bait fish ties...

If you have SRC jumpers, what is your go to? Does it vary by season? What euphasid patterns should I carry? Thanks in advance...

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Sounds like way more fun than raking leaves.

Euphausids more commonly inhabit open water zones, but currents can carry them into the shallows. To me, they have a reddish gestalt. More commonly associated with structure are mysids (we have at least a dozen species). Many of these are tan to brown in color (see http://joelrogers.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Puget-Sound/G0000kpExgdGEwmc/I0000uaiZ2WHfMjk). They swim similarly and to a flyfisher there won't be much difference, but you might look at freshwater mysid patterns (opposum shrimp), such as http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/opossum_shrimp.htm.

Steve

Mingo

the Menehune stole my beer
I tied this years ago and called it Crazy Plankton. I tied it on a #10 Mustad 3407 and fished it dead drift downtide into the schools. It has been very effective for rezzies when the pod up and sip while traveling uptide.

Leland.

View attachment 35553

+1,000......Leland's creation works great here on salmonids for sure; I've also found many other uses for this great pattern...
mahidinner - Copy (2).jpg

you can get small shrimp flies at the gig harbor fly shop and pacific fly fishers in mill creek. look on page 3 of their catalog under sea run cutthroat flies.
I find that I have to use them mostly in fall for resident coho, in calm water with walking speed tide. I use floating line an let the flie drift right over the are where they are sipping at the surface, just like Leland mentioned. I use orange pink and sometimes white patterns, in a size 4 and 6,. Make the fly move like it is drifting with tide. They are not strong swimmers

rotato

Sf is that tied like a gotcha/crazy Charlie?

Flies get better when they get beat up a bit

Still looking for the rezzies to come into the KP beaches

Latest posts