NFR I am retired!

Theron

I retired yesterday after nearly 36 years. I am going to relax and do nothing for a couple of weeks and then start getting the house ready to put on the market. My wife and I plan to head to Whidbey Island in march and find a place to rent for a few months. We plan the big move for April. Can't wait to get to the PNW.
retired.jpg

Congratulations. You are going to love it! I've been "out" for 18 months after nearly 50 years and am busier doing the things I want to do than I ever was before. Good luck on your move.

Smalma

Congrats on your retirement!!

Sounds like you will be having a busy few months. I retired in June of 2005 (can it be that long?) and still am surprised how busy I stay. Of course 5 grandkids (# 6 on the way), two dogs, a large garden (still expanding), an understanding wife and my retirement goal of fishing/hunting 150 to 200 days a year pretty much assure that I'll stay busy.

Curt

Theron

Yeah, it will take some getting used to retirement. Kind of like "What Day is tomorrow. Saturday. The day after tomorrow? Saturday! The day after that? Saturday!" We hope to pick up a pram for use on Pass and Lone and we have a new Harley picked out to replace our worn out Road King. Gonna be a good ride!

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Well welcome to retirement. I retired in 1999. Going on 15 years now. But unless you like to fish alone, that's the way it is. I do a few honeys does now and then. But not much more than that. I don't want to over work myself and not have the strength to throw a few flies around.

Krusty

Congratulations! May you have a long and healthy retirement...you earned it.

May I ask if you have a defined benefit pension, deferred comp plan, or a combination of the two?

The reason I ask is that many retirees don't fully comprehend what an oddity a pension will become for those who follow, as employers continue to move away from pensions towards deferred compensation. I've seen figures of only about 15% of private sector employers still providing traditional DB pensions (and that's declining), while about 88% of government employers are still offerring DB pensions.

And, finally, welcome to Washington! it's a fine place to live despite what Old Man says.

psycho

14 years for me, it's a hell of a lot better than working. Union DB plans plus registered retirement savings plans works great for me and my wife.:D

Krusty

Well welcome to retirement. I retired in 1999. Going on 15 years now. But unless you like to fish alone, that's the way it is. I do a few honeys does now and then. But not much more than that. I don't want to over work myself and not have the strength to throw a few flies around.
But that's the same work ethic you displayed at the 'Lazy B'! :)

That's great, I'm happy for you and I can hardly wait to join you ( couple more years). Whidbey will be quite a change from Nebraska, I think you'll like it.

Krusty, I herd somewhere were only 3% of workers in the U.S. have defined benefit pension plans, I'm continually grateful for mine.

Roper

Idiot Savant
Welcome, we'll likely see you on the water. You'll need to hook up with Islander and Jeff Dodd, they're the local gurus on Lone Lake.

Eleven years now. The best 11 years of my life. I retired early and have not regretted a moment. The time has been worth far more than the extra money.

Jerry