Wilderness Fishing Flies...

Teenage Entomologist

Gotta love the pteronarcys.
I you had to pick 5 fly patterns for small mountain streams and lakes(aka. Wilderness fishing), what would they be?

My favorites...
- Mercers Missing Link
- Mercers Micro Mayfly
- BH Fox Poopah
- Poxyback Hares Ear
- Ant Fly( Oswalds Foam Para-Ant)

black wooly bugger
tan foam beetle
black foam beetle
black foam ant
hopper

In my experience fish in the wilderness aren't very selective, they eat whatever. I've fished black beetles in the winter in creeks in MT with great success. Brookies are especially aggressive, I dig those fish!

Seems you like your terrestrials Alex?
I do, big meals get their attention, especially when the food supply in the water is scarce. If the creek or river is small enough to where you can cast to the other bank it doesn't hurt to bounce one of the bank into the water. ;) And since the bug would be struggling a perfect drift is not mission critical. :D

OK I have two more subsurface favorites, old school soft hackle patterns (for the action the hackles provide) and a basic Hare's Ear Nymph, sometimes tied with partridge hackle. ;)

Look at that poor little Trout caught in the winter on a hopper... :) I did kind of feel bad for it since the fish's mouth was rather stuffed.

Oh yeah and did I mention that I'm a Soft Hackle fanatic? ;)
IMG_3781.JPG IMG_3782.JPG IMG_3783.JPG soft hackle.jpg soft hackle 1.jpg soft hackle 2.jpg soft hackle 3.jpg

Drifter

I do, big meals get their attention, especially when the food supply in the water is scarce. If the creek or river is small enough to where you can cast to the other bank it doesn't hurt to bounce one of the bank into the water. ;) And since the bug would be struggling a perfect drift is not mission critical. :D

OK I have two more subsurface favorites, old school soft hackle patterns (for the action the hackles provide) and a basic Hare's Ear Nymph, sometimes tied with partridge hackle. ;)

Look at that poor little Trout caught in the winter on a hopper... :) I did kind of feel bad for it since the fish's mouth was rather stuffed.

Oh yeah and did I mention that I'm a Soft Hackle fanatic? ;)
View attachment 37007 View attachment 37008 View attachment 37009 View attachment 37010 View attachment 37011 View attachment 37012 View attachment 37013
I like your softies! We must think alike. Really love that first one - looks real-real fishy!!!

Latest posts