Radioactive

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
Dan....the dose rates should have been explained to you and are closely monitored, I used to work there too. Today my greatest concerns are the doctor, who doses me much higher than Hanford (and has no idea what the dose rates are), and TSA who seem to think dosing me with radiation is non intrusive. If you are flying and older, I'd advise taking the pat down. The equipment concentrates dosage in the face where skin cancers are more prevalent in older folks. Eating the fish is my least concern, but then I don't like to eat salmonoids anyway.....
" I'd advise taking the pat down," Is that for health reasons or just a cheap thrill?

Rob Zelk

I swing, therefore i am.
More facts that may interest those, especially over in Spokane area. In Washington, we have the Hanford reach which drains to the Columbia, but that isn't the start of radioactive contamination into WA's home rivers.

I was searching creeks to fish, fishing different access points, wet wading because it was summer. Well, upon driving down one road, towards the creek basin, I was stopped by a big gate with a radioactive sign, that said, no trespassing among other things. Needless to say, I never felt the need to fish that area again, not that I caught any fish to speak of...

The Midnight Mine, a uranium mine, which is on Spokane's Indian Reservation, has been a superfund site for some time now. The 300 some acres of radioactive water and uranium ore left to the elements drains into the Spokane River, and contaminates all kinds of wildlife at the site and downstream.

Check the video: http://www.toxipedia.org/display/wanmec/Midnite+uranium+mine,+Spokane,+WA

Dan Nelson

Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2013/05/30/1221834110.full.pdf+html

National Academy of Science reports that, yes, trace amounts of radioactive isotopes have been found in Pacific Bluefin tuna. But the vast majority of that radioactive material comes from naturally occuring sources, primarily Polonium (Po). "Fukushima-derived were three to four orders of magnitude below Po-derived doses."

In short, fish already carry radioactive material -- and ALWAYS HAVE! Indeed, virtually all living things have some trace level of radioactive material. Worth noting that bananas have a relatively high naturally occurring trace level of isotopes. Where's the hysteria over glowing bananas?

I was freaking out about this as well. And after reading many, many articles, I am not freaking out quite as bad anymore. Fukushima is bad, and I hope they get it under control, but it is a drop in the ocean.

I do believe that if it our government, and all the others that line the Pacific Ocean, were concerned with our Pacific fish being ruined forever, that there would be a global effort to control this situation. But what do I know... I would hope there are some very smart nuclear physicists in the world who would be sounding some huge alarms if Fukushima were a real threat to ending the consumption of Pacific fish.

While I am a little scared about eating eating our fish because of radiation, I am more scared about eating our fish because of PCBs and mercury.

If you're scared of Fukushima, read this and you'll be just as scared of Hanford!

This is actually a good read, check it out: http://www.rense.com/general96/hanford.html

The solution to pollution is dilution!

~RZ
Holy crap, talk about fear mongering. That article has so much opinion and speculation its insane. Great comedic read though. Not to mention his radiation readings. A full 10 Microsieverts is the amount of radiation the average person receives in one day. This dude is claiming someone wearing a glove showing .28 is a dead man walking. Laughable.

More facts that may interest those, especially over in Spokane area. In Washington, we have the Hanford reach which drains to the Columbia, but that isn't the start of radioactive contamination into WA's home rivers.

I was searching creeks to fish, fishing different access points, wet wading because it was summer. Well, upon driving down one road, towards the creek basin, I was stopped by a big gate with a radioactive sign, that said, no trespassing among other things. Needless to say, I never felt the need to fish that area again, not that I caught any fish to speak of...

The Midnight Mine, a uranium mine, which is on Spokane's Indian Reservation, has been a superfund site for some time now. The 300 some acres of radioactive water and uranium ore left to the elements drains into the Spokane River, and contaminates all kinds of wildlife at the site and downstream.

Check the video: http://www.toxipedia.org/display/wanmec/Midnite uranium mine, Spokane, WA
Yes, part of the reason for the restriction on eating fish from lake Roosevelt.

Rob Zelk

I swing, therefore i am.
Yes the problem is people, like yours truly, don't understand a thing about things that are radioactive, so we just become afraid. And since its not something that is easily understood by reading one or ten articles on the subject, most of which are fear mongering, it makes a lot of space for worry. That said, I do know that radioactive particles can be bad for you, just as motor oil, grease, paints, foods, mercury, have carcinogens that can be bad as well.

One truth is that radioactivity, to an extent, is that it is in a lot of the world around us. Like you fellows have said, in bananas, occurring naturally, smoke detectors, x ray machines, etc. Trying to be well informed is a good weapon against the fear mongers. I wish there were a way to test individual fish, clams, and seafood, because I love and want to eat it! :)

I guess if people stop eating pacific fish, the indians will stop netting, and fish runs will be incredible, right? Hmm...

Here's the thing that bothers me the most.
There is not a damn thing anyone or any government can do about this.
The damn melt down will go on until it burns itself out or melts into the magma core.
It will take many life times or possible never to clean up.
This is not just another drop in the bucket, it's a shit ton of toxic crap going into the ocean daily.
I'm I worried "no" I'm I going to go play in the Pacific ocean or eat the fish "Hell No"
One less person on the beach fighting for space.

Two recent pieces worth reading / watching about the potential of Fukushima radiation in fish and on the US west coast:

Scientists Say Stop Worrying About Fukushima Radioactivity In Fish
http://earthfix.opb.org/water/article/scientists-say-stop-worrying-about-fukushima-radio/

Fukushima Radiation: What You've Heard are Lies!
http://news.discovery.com/tech/videos/fukushima-radiation-what-youve-heard-are-lies-video.htm

Like a lot of guys on here probably do, I eat a LOT of salmon (thanks trolling with gear...). And the conclusion of everything I've read on the issue? I will get 1000x more radiation from each doctors visit than from eating pacific salmon every week. Now Hanford, that would worry me a lot more if my fish came from the Columbia...

"This is actually a good read, check it out: http://www.rense.com/general96/hanford.html" This website is not correct in the least.

For example: "At a roadside spot convenient for quick relief, a black work glove was lying on the gravel. It registered 0.28 microsieverts, meaning whoever urinated is a dead man walking. " 0.28 microsieverts is 0.028 mrem which is a number barely detectable(with very sensitive dose rate meters) above background levels. The federal limit for occupational whole body radiation exposure is 5000 mrem year or 18,000 imes the 0.28 uS. 5000 rem/ year has never been shown to effect any individual. The limit for extremity dose (like the hands) is 10 times higher or 5- rem/year. Dead man walking indeed.

The reality is that Fukishima was a serious reactor accident, but isn't hurting anybody in the US.

If you want to read some actual scientific information try nrc.gov or NEI.org. and search on Fukushima... tons of actual information.

Lol! Was going to tell you - Git back to bed! I'm always up early as well! I work 4/10's and when I do I'm up at 3ish and somehow that pattern doesn't change regardless of work day or non work day.
Sorry to tell you this, but that doesn't change when you retire. LOL
But then again, you could just go fishing EARLY.

I'm really enjoying what you guys are saying about there not being any harmful radiation levels in the fish or the water, NOW.
This reactor is still melting down, still dumping tons of waste in the ocean.
This mess is not getting better, it is getting worse.
Maybe not in my life time will I see the effects here on the west coast.
I'm just saying maybe it's time we as people on this planet stop making messes and clean up the ones we have made to the best of our ability.