Pattern Kalama Special

I was snooping though a book of patterns and though I would tie one of these up.

Tail - Red hackle
Body - yellow sparkly dubbing (Originally yellow wool)
Hackle - grizzly chinchilla (originally Golden Badger Hackle)
Wing - White Skink (originally white bucktail/calf tail)

Size 4 on an Allen AFF ss001 hook.

David,
I went through all my fly tying stuff and can't find any skunk. I don't think I have ever tied anything with it. I'm always looking for different winging materials. I ordered some skunk last night.
Jack

Digging this up...
Are you using a dry fly hackle for the palmered body or??? Golden Badger as the original pattern calls for seems to be difficult to source in a usable size and is usually only in dry fly capes.

David Dalan

69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E
Digging this up...
Are you using a dry fly hackle for the palmered body or??? Golden Badger as the original pattern calls for seems to be difficult to source in a usable size and is usually only in dry fly capes.
The hackle is labeled as chinchilla, and it is very much a soft hackle. I tie my wooly buggers this way as well. Not that it probably makes any difference, but I do it with the "more action in soft water" hypothesis.

The hackle is labeled as chinchilla, and it is very much a soft hackle. I tie my wooly buggers this way as well. Not that it probably makes any difference, but I do it with the "more action in soft water" hypothesis.
Thanks for the reply David. I've found some Chinchilla online I could use as a substitute like your pattern. I've been using Schlappen on my other ties, but Golden Badger is not offered in Schalppen.

I guess the root of my question is did the traditional patterns calling for palmered hackle on the body use "dry fly" hackle, Indian/Chinese hackle, or a soft hackle like your pattern.

David Dalan

69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E
Thanks for the reply David. I've found some Chinchilla online I could use as a substitute like your pattern. I've been using Schlappen on my other ties, but Golden Badger is not offered in Schalppen.

I guess the root of my question is did the traditional patterns calling for palmered hackle on the body use "dry fly" hackle, Indian/Chinese hackle, or a soft hackle like your pattern.
I don't know, but I would guess a dry fly hackle.

Heres mine tied following the recipe in "Flies of the Northwest" by the Inland Empire Fly Club
Thread: Veevus 12/0 Black
Hook: Gamakatsu T10-6H #4
Tail: Red Hackle Fibers
Body: Uni Yarn Pale Yellow
Hackle: Badger Palmered
Wing: White Calf Tail
Cheek: Jungle Cock

Attachments

Latest posts