Swap Crappie Fly swap

steeli

The way my March is looking, I'll need the full April tax deadline to get mine in. I'll be tying a red-eyed damsel, pattern I've netted all kinds of warm water fish.

I sat down and tried tying a couple EP baitfish last night. They turned out...sloppy. I need to spend some time getting the process down. Sloppy or not, they are neat little flies, I think they'll catch fish just fine.

I sat down and tied some more baitfish. My consistency with these things is still crap, but I finally got one that I'm happy with. I can't wait to test these things out.

Hopefully by the end of the week I can get enough of them tied up that I am happy with and get them sent out.

KevinLS

Eyejuggler and Atomic both really nice looking ties! Eyejuggler I've had good success with a larger pattern like that in lakes. Just kind of like spoon fishing; fast strips in. Tie in flashy colors. Look forward to try the special small one.

An Old Timer told me, "it isn't a crappie lure (fly) unless it has red." He said red represents injury to the crappie. Now I'm not so sure about his opinions because I have caught lots of crappie using little solid color jigs. But when I tie for crappie I always use a little red somewhere in the fly. Old Traditions kinda haunt you.

This is my crappie spider. While trout fishing a lake many years ago we came across some crappie. Since my friend and I like to eat crappie we decided catch more. I changed to a steelhead fly called the "Wet Spider" It was a simple fly. Yellow chenille body and mallard flank for hackle. It is a great fly for sea run cutthroats also but that's for another thread. The fly I used was a size 6 and I caught a bunch of crappie that day. I went home and modified the fly. Added a white marabou tail. A little red chenille at the butt (all crappie flies should contain red) and a partridge for the soft hackle. I also will use soft grizzly hackle for the wing. Simple but effective fly. Used it for years. I tie it in size 8 or 6 Mustad 3906B or similar hook.

Attachments

sean_k

So far I've received Keith's flys, we have about two weeks left until the due date. How is every one coming along with their flys?

steeli

Just back in town yesterday after a looong trip.
Bugs just started but might whip them up by the end of the weekend.
Looks like there's going to be some great looking flies!

Latest posts