Well, I'm Screwed Now.....

Mark Moore

Just a Member
Bought my first Cane rod today after years and years of wanting one. I remember the first time I was ever in the presence of a bamboo fly rod, she was a delicate little thing in an obviously very special case at Cumberland Transit in Nashville. A local maker who was a minister in rural Tennessee, man that thing was just exactly perfect and I knew it some how. I was literally buying my very first fly outfit that day, a very basic Orvis setup but I knew I wouldn't be satisfied until I had a bamboo stick. That memory has owned my imagination until today, the finish was so nice and she was just so smooth.

I've had chances on lesser examples since, but none met the measure. A fixer upper just wasn't going to do the job. Then I found this nice little Hardy, and a bargain too.

7' 7" 6wt in super nice condition. Original sock, the tube is aluminum and might not be original and there is only the one tip....but hey, I can only fish one tip at a time, right.

Next thing you know, I'll be drinking single malt. Perish the thought.:D

photo 2.JPG photo 1.JPG photo.JPG

Kent Lufkin

Remember when you could remember everything?
Not all cane rods came with two tips. Are you sure this one did? BTW, the letters E/O near the winding check are probably a code for when the rod was made. You should be able to Google up a year pretty quickly.

K

Salmo_g

Nice Mark. Does the rod indicate what model Hardy it is?

And welcome to cane world. There's nothing dark about it IMO. Cane enhances casting and fishing; what could be better than that?

Sg

Not all cane rods came with two tips. Are you sure this one did? BTW, the letters E/O near the winding check are probably a code for when the rod was made. You should be able to Google up a year pretty quickly.
I think I figured it out that it was made in May of '72 which after some contemplation sort of pissed me off that something 10 years younger than me is considered a "classic" :)

Nice Mark. Does the rod indicate what model Hardy it is?

And welcome to cane world. There's nothing dark about it IMO. Cane enhances casting and fishing; what could be better than that?

Sg
No idea on what model it is... The web has been more confusing than helpful on this.

You are in trouble, I was luck together a 2wt for small streams last year and going to pickup a bamboo this year. There are a lot of nice ones out there! Oh, don't forget about cigar's to go with the single malt!

Tim Cottage

Formerly tbc1415
No idea on what model it is... The web has been more confusing than helpful on this.
Doesn't the inscription read "The Palakona" ? If so thats your model. Some Hardy rods had other names "The Phantom" , "The Marvel", etc. Some of those rods also had the word Palakona inscribed on them along with "The ..........".

Generally any name preceeded by The is the model

TC

Latest posts