Tyed Tannic- Squirrel Strip Leech

Jay C

I like it! Looks like the squirrel is only tied in at the tail and bead. Any super glue along the rest between the squirrel and body? Another fly to try and tie.

johnk

I like it! Looks like the squirrel is only tied in at the tail and bead. Any super glue along the rest between the squirrel and body? Another fly to try and tie.
No glue. The strip is tied in upside down extending out beyond the eye and then turned over and secured again behind the bead. This way you can stretch the hide without worry to the back of the hook shank and secure it finally at the tail.

Love it. I remember stumbling on a similar pattern of yours last year. . I believe the Wine Killer or something similar. Great patterns that I really need to tie up soon.

johnk

Love it. I remember stumbling on a similar pattern of yours last year. . I believe the Wine Killer or something similar. Great patterns that I really need to tie up soon.
Yes, the Wine Killer, the original in this style of leech. Also, the Black/Red Squirrel Leech has probably been the best producer.

Yes, the Wine Killer, the original in this style of leech. Also, the Black/Red Squirrel Leech has probably been the best producer.

The wine killer caught my eye because I find that color to be super effective in my local lakes. If I recall I went out and purchased the ingredients but had trouble with the proportions and never got it to look right and gave up. Now I remember that I need to get back and get that one figured out.

johnk

The wine killer caught my eye because I find that color to be super effective in my local lakes. If I recall I went out and purchased the ingredients but had trouble with the proportions and never got it to look right and gave up. Now I remember that I need to get back and get that one figured out.
The Wine Killer is one pattern that I saved the photos from a step by step and will post it when I get a chance. Back on shift for seven days starting today. Twelve hour shifts so it will take a few days.

Latest posts