NFR The Roller Coaster Ride and the "C" Word

No offense to anyone at all but this is probably not the right place for that discussion. I think this thread should just be about being happy that our friend Larry is healthy. Just my humble opinion

You're right. I'm not looking to argue, I was just confused because Larry's case sounds like it was thoroughly handled and had a very good outcome.

DFL, I'm very happy to hear that you came out the other end of a scary situation doing so well.


Active Member
Larry, I'm so happy you're okay and made it through that. I think you even gave me a new outlook with that story!
Here's to many more fishing days for you. I enjoy your posts. Thanks for being here.


Well-Known Member

I'm really happy to read that you're OK. Sounds like you went through hell before getting the doc's prognosis that you're just too stubborn to die. I'll raise a toast to you when I get home this evening.

Thanks for sharing Larry. I'm very happy for you that the original diagnosis was prooved wrong. Sorry to hear about the heart attack, but I'm impressed with how quickly you acted. Glad to hear you're doing all right and health-wise doing a little better...taking long walks and losing some weight. Keep it up!!


Ignored Member
I am very happy for you. The thought of having lung cancer is one scary bitch. I know. I was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer back in September of last year. Incurable, this stuff is. And yes, some pretty scary crap can go through your mind. I can relate to everything you said. I am somewhat lucky in the fact that the cancer migrated to my brain, they discover 3 tumors on my brain. The largest a little bigger than a golf ball. That one was removed surgically. The other two were blasted with a gamma knife. Now, you may ask how am I lucky that this nasty stuff had migrated to my brain? Well, it all started back in July or August of last year. I began to have problems using my left arm and leg. Also I was having balance issues from time to time. I knew something was up and made some appointments to see a doc. In the meantime I had a business trip to California that could not wait. Off to CA I go. While working in CA the issues with my left arm and leg continued to get worst to the point fellow workers were concerned. One evening after work at the motel I had one of the balance episodes and fell in the bathroom. I couldn't get up. My left side wouldn't work. Ever see the commercial "I have fallen and can't get up."? Well, there I was. I thought shit; they won't find me until morning. Anyway, after about 5 minutes I regained control of my left side and was able to get and go to bed. The next day at work I told some of my fellow workers what had happened and to keep an eye on me. What they did was to gang up on me and ambushed my ass in the parking lot. Hauled me off to the hospital where after almost every test Larry mentioned they told me I had a brain tumor and they had also found a couple of spots on my lung. Whoa! What next? I was flown that afternoon back to Seattle where I was booked into Swedish hospital. The following day I had brain surgery to remove the largest of the three brain tumors. A week later I had the gamma knife treatments on the remaining two. Next, the big stuff. What to do with the spots found on my lungs. One thing they didn't need to was a biopsy. They had the tumor from my brain. So I met with an oncologist at Skagit Regional Cancer Center because it is a lot closer than Swedish. He is the one that told me I had incurable stage 4 lung cancer which consists of 2 tumors on right lung and 2 lymph nodes that are cancerous. He devised a treatment plan consisting of infusion chemo therapy which is a treatment a week for 18 weeks. I have now completed treatment # 12. Since starting chemo I have had an MRI on my brain which confirmed the cancerous tumors are gone or shrunk to be of no real consequence. I just had my second CT scan on my lungs. The first scan was performed in the first of January and showed that the tumors in my lung were shrinking and losing density. The second scan which was done this past Monday showed that both tumors are continuing to shrink and the lymph nodes are returning to normal also. What does all this mean? Well, I ain't dying of lung cancer anytime soon. I will be on some form of chemo treatment for the rest of my life. That may take the form of infusion treatments or oral. We don't know yet. How long will I live? No one knows. Some people that have a similar form of lung cancer that I have are in their 15th year after being diagnosed. The way I think about this we all have a death clause in our contracts here. We all are going to die. The difference between me and you is I have a pretty good idea of what is going to kill me and you don't.

Now, this is a hyjacking.

Latest posts