Ovoviviparous mayfly video

Taxon

Staff member
Hi silvercreek-

Yes, the first tine I saw the video was via a link posted on January 12. Its source was listed as Dr. David Funk, so emailed him with the following question:
Was the video filmed in N. America, where my understanding is that Cloeon cognatum has been reclassified as Cloeon dipterum?
And, he responded as follows:
Video was shot in Pennsylvania. And yes, most people now consider cognatum a synonym of dipterum, but no one has officially sunk it and our North American populations fit the old world cognatum concept. Cloeon dipterum in the broader sense is native to Eurasia and is undoubtedly a complex of species. It is not native to North America, but probably came over on ships in the mid 20th century. I have "barcoded" our local population (using the mitochondrial COI gene) and it matches exactly a specimen collected in Bulgaria. This species is now very common in northeast North America, especially in fishless ponds.

Best regards,
Dave

Taxon

Staff member
Hi Ron,

57 seconds seems like a pretty short "incubation" period. It really is an amazing video.
Well, that's because the "incubation" period is more like several weeks. Two genera of N. American mayflies, Callibaetis and Cloeon retain their fertilized/developing eggs in their abdomen for approximately that period of time.

Taxon

Staff member
This thread seems to have run its course on the Fly Fishing Forum, so has been moved to the Flyfishing Entomology, where it will be easier to find.

Latest posts