A fishing story from Belize

PT

Physhicist
I've been there a few times. Friend's mom used to live just South of town. Favorite (other than guided) was riding my bike North of the cut, down to the water, and riding along the beach with my 5wt strapped to the bike looking for tailing fish. To me, the 5wt was more than adequate for Belizean bones. Tough fishing as the bottom isn't wade friendly in most places but some of the turtle grass flats were ok. You could ride for miles along the beach. Fun times. Breakfast usually consisted of a couple bloody marys and a few shots of Cuervo in the palapa bar. There are some monster crocs on the west side of the island in those little lagoons. Locals thought I was crazy to be on that side fishing.

Chucker

Nice story.

The downside of it is that next time you go, you won't be quite so bad at it as you were, and it won't be quite as exciting.

Though you will catch more fish!

Good read ybsong. You had a very kind guide. All of my mistakes on my first trip out on the Bahamian flats, which included much the same as yours, included repeated snarls from my guide that "ya bloody well buggered that one up mate." Ya, competition between the guides gets fierce, and if they do their job and put you on fish, they expect you to connect.

Nice work! I do believe you've captured it. Really good man. I've been there, and it's awesome...problem is it's kinda like growing up in the east or midwest and then skiing the Rockies for the first time...it gets in your blood!

I'll be in the Caymans and then in Mexico over the next 6 weeks...can't wait.

Nice work! I do believe you've captured it. Really good man. I've been there, and it's awesome...problem is it's kinda like growing up in the east or midwest and then skiing the Rockies for the first time...it gets in your blood!

I'll be in the Caymans and then in Mexico over the next 6 weeks...can't wait.
Jslo, I like your analogy. Although I'd add "...then heli-skiing the Rockies for the first time..." I'm jealous of your trip. Can't get those monsters out of my mind.

flybill

Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!
Ok, where do I sign up for a trip like that?
I felt like I was on the bow myself, thank you for sharing.
We can help you set up a trip to Belize through Orvis Travel and fish with the same guides that Young did through El Pescador. PM me your email and phone number and I'll get you some info we have in upcoming trips down there. We have some great opportunities coming up later this year! I will be at the shop tomorrow and we are open from 12 to 5 if you're in the area.

Bill

Latest posts