Which river for bigger Chum salmon in Nov?

Looking for a reliable river in Nov to hook a few bigger (up to 20lb+) Chum while swinging with a Spey rod. Any recommendations would be appreciated. OP? Squamish? It will be a bonus if there are steelhead in the same river in Nov too...

Thanks in advance.

Nov chum fishing means you MIGHT get a chance at some hatchery steelhead, but its still a bit early for the big push.
Im a fan of the Stilliguamish, Nooksack, and Skykomish for big nasty chum

Salmo_g

I think the Stilly and Skagit may hold the edge for largest average size chum salmon. OP rivers don't get many chum salmon. Gray's Harbor and Willipa rivers used to get good chum runs, but WDFW has decided to sacrifice them to allow more days of non-treaty gillnetting, so those streams aren't much of an option.

Sg

I'm not trying to hijack the thread but, where did people get the idea that commercial fishing for chums is a new phenomena? It's been happening for many decades! (rant over).

Joepa

Joe from PA
I think the Stilly and Skagit may hold the edge for largest average size chum salmon.
I believe this to be true based on my incidental hookups, but I thought you couldn't target chum in those rivers now.

Thanks for the information. Will I need a guide with boat to access those rivers or would road access be possible? If a guide is required, would appreciate some recommendations for Spey fishing. Thanks.

There is ample access on all these rivers for walk and wade

Targeting chum specifically.... You're casting for hatchery steelhead, any chum you hook is a bonus, to be quickly and safely released

DimeBrite

MA-9 Beach Stalker
SKAGIT. Leave the Spey rod at home, they hang near shore in softer water. Check the regulations for an emergency chum closure.

Looking for a reliable river in Nov to hook a few bigger (up to 20lb+) Chum while swinging with a Spey rod. Any recommendations would be appreciated. OP? Squamish? It will be a bonus if there are steelhead in the same river in Nov too...

Thanks in advance.