To Clear Cut or Not To Clear Cut??...

FinLuver

FinLuver said:
LOL...did you "Mumble" something??​
We all understood him jackass!
------------
Must be an aspect of the "alcoholism" mentioned above.

David Dalan

69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Article cites OSU Forestry, a group I consider completely untrustworthy and politically compromised. Here is a very ugly example of the OSU crew trying to pull a peer reviewed paper because it did not meld with their political (i.e. log everything to f***ing dirt) world view.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biscuit_Fire_publication_controversy

Make note, under citation #7 that M. Newton is one of the professors involved in this asshatery. He would be the Newton in the link you shared.

There is no paradox.

Ed Call

LOL...did you "Mumble" something??
Your "cute" use of "quotations" is "embarrassing". My friends call me Mumbles. Why not stick to calling me Ed, I prefer that approach from annonymous screen name agitators that have not made it a point to get to know me or the vast membership here. Hope that's okay with you FinLover.

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Article cites OSU Forestry, a group I consider completely untrustworthy and politically compromised. Here is a very ugly example of the OSU crew trying to pull a peer reviewed paper because it did not meld with their political (i.e. log everything to f***ing dirt) world view.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biscuit_Fire_publication_controversy

Make note, under citation #7 that M. Newton is one of the professors involved in this asshatery. He would be the Newton in the link you shared.

There is no paradox.
Hi David,
I'm glad that someone else remembers that controversy. It was quite clear to me that a number of bought-and-paid for faculty at OSU were trying to squelch the publication and throw mud on the scientific reputation of a graduate student. I was extremely annoyed that my congressman, Brian Baird, participated in this #$*@. I wrote his office a long detailed email questioning his opposition to these science findings; his criticisms (and the OSU ones) were superficial and trivial. At that time, Baird was conspiring with various Oregon congressmen to push salvage logging in the area.

Steve

SilverFly

In spite of the reek of forest product industry bias, I found this study somewhat interesting. What this seems to be completely overlooking is that historically, the bulk of food for trout and juvenile salmon came from salmon biomass, not photosynthesis. If fish were dependent on sunshine, then heavily forested rivers like this one in the Tongass National Park in Alaska should be virtually barren of fish:

Rob Allen

hmmm many of the things posted as facts by the author are directly contradicted by our fisheries biologists.

1 water quality in rural streams is often listed as a limiting factor for salmonids
2. in no place that I know of to biologists claim cool water temps are a limiting factor but warm water is almost universally listed as a limiting factor.. particularly in commercial forest land.

Latest posts