Swap Puget sound "stinger" clouser swap

I vote free for all since I still haven't made up my mind! ;). Also, IMHO, it wouldn't hurt to have more than one of the same color. At least not for me as I generally only tie flies before I go fishing. My days of fly tying for the simple enjoyment of it are gone...rod building and experimentation on scrap blanks takes up my time now. ;).

Also, for the more seasoned beach coho guys out there it may help to list a variety of combo colors that you know will work, besides the chartreuse, pink and blue colors. This way it may help some of the less experienced coho beach fly fishermen and keep us from tying up some junk that will never get fished... Just a thought.

I've wanted to tie up a white/silver/black one but partially because I'm curious, I don't want to punish you all with my curiosity by tying an in effective fly color combo. The reason for my tying it is because that pattern is what I was fishing when fishing for Lings and then a Seal took it - my conclusion is that the seal mistook it for a herring. Coho like herring. ;)(of course it won't be a 7-8" fly! ;))

Am I on the right track here?

Also, for the more seasoned beach coho guys out there it may help to list a variety of combo colors that you know will work, besides the chartreuse, pink and blue colors. This way it may help some of the less experienced coho beach fly fishermen and keep us from tying up some junk that will never get fished... Just a thought.
This would be helpful to me. Otherwise, I'll stick to the chartruese/pink.

I've wanted to tie up a white/silver/black one but partially because I'm curious...
Sounds like a cool fly. It's got me curious as well.

This would be helpful to me. Otherwise, I'll stick to the chartruese/pink.

Sounds like a cool fly. It's got me curious as well.
It will kind of look like the one in the pic at the link bellow, but obviously Clouser style with stinger. But yeah, the Seal swiped that very fly. Yesterday as I was digging around on the interwebs, I saw a similar patterned fly and the guy writing the blog said it was a good Ling fly to have...and that other sea creatures would dig it. (I unknowingly tied it before I even knew about it simply because I thought it looked "bait fishy").

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/ling-bling.98950/

Those look great Jon! I applaud the epoxy on the body for durability, I totally do the same thing!
I am still making mock ups, trying to perfect materials and color.
Looking forward to seeing these!

porterHause

Just call me Jon
Oh I know...I was just playin'. :D I find other combos to be more productive than pink/chart...

This is UV cerise over UV fire orange...body wrapped in pink braid and coated in CCG Hydro. Real Eyez 3/16 to get jiggy. You can't really see it, but they have a fire orange throat/gill as well.

Here's what I think I'll do - I have 18lb Flouro Carbon that I never use, would that work as a line to tie in a stinger or is mono of the same pound rating preferred? I also have Fire Line but it's pretty thin at 20lbs, it's about 8lbs test diameter. so I'm not sure if that would mess up the action. The Flouro is pretty stiff and seems better at keeping the hook from hanging down, or is that a non issue? I'm no stinger pro, so your input is appreciated.

The fly is a little mix of SF Blend Wild Olive/Gray, Yak Hair UV Off White, Slinky Fiber Black, some krinkle flash and Hanked Lite Brite (Silver)

Clouser.jpg

Latest posts