FYI Dacron backing not a good running line.

g_smolt

Recreational User
Wally, if you want strong and skinny, try PLine hydrofloat #50.

It slips a bit (2-finger grip helps) but it shoots like a dream, knots well, doesn't tangle much, and lets you feel every move of the fly.

ralfish

Have to admit I'm a fan of the 50 lb P-line for light heads (< than 300 grains) for my trout speys in moving water but from the beach even with a stripping basket its not my thing. Too many knots and tangles etc. What I did really like was 25 lb GL shooter. Can't get that any more so maybe I'll have to try the Ken sawada brand of the same thing.

WT

In hind sight I skipped an important step in lining up that reel. It took me awhile to figure out why my cast wasn't working. I put some miracle braid on there and my cast is back to normal.

ahhh all you youngsters repectful lol here , back in the day we would melt parafin in a can and soak the dacron in it , let it drip then wipe the entire line down worked great good handling properties floated great too if needed
smitty

E

Evan Virnoche

ahhh all you youngsters repectful lol here , back in the day we would melt parafin in a can and soak the dacron in it , let it drip then wipe the entire line down worked great good handling properties floated great too if needed
smitty
its 2014 we dont have do that anymore thank god

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
its 2014 we dont have do that anymore thank god
You missed out on all that fun, making your own lines by splicing different pieces together and then seeing how it cast was all part of the magic in the early days. Now you just buy the stuff and go fishing, somebody figured it all out for you.

E

Evan Virnoche

i tried my hand at line splicing, it sucked nor do i have the time between school, parenting, work full time, and getting swollen in the gym. I am more than content going to pacific fly fisher demoing a product and walking out right then with what i need.