Looking for the best Steelhead guide I can find

Quite the can of worms you opened here.

Mike Sturza of Lost Creek Flies on the Cowlitz (Google it) and Jim Kerr (Raincoast Guides) on the Peninsula both know their waters well and can put you on fish during the summer. The advantage of the Cowlitz would be its relative simplicity to row compared to some of the Peninsula rivers, which means you could go out and apply what you learn from Mike on your own. Either way you can't really go wrong...

John Hicks

Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits
I think you will be very happy with whoever you do go with. The beauty of a guided day on the water, is that it usually is about so much more than just fishing. A reputable guide will not only put you on prime water, but will make the day a fun one. They will have intimate knowledge not only of the river shed you are on, but what water will best suit your style and ability. Do your research, and above all, have fun when you get out there.

Jim Kerr

Thanks for all the recommendations guys I really appreciate it! a lot!
It is a hard choice, I love it here in the summer but it is very different than the Cowlitz.
I do not know Mike but a lot of my regular clients have fished with him and say he is great. A couple of years ago we were looking at maybe moving south for my wife's work and I looked long and hard at the cowlitz. I haven't fished it much in the last 15 years or so but I do often think of it in the summer, plenty of water and good numbers of fish.
I am sure you will have fun where ever you end up.
Jim Kerr

Since everyone is throwing out guide names, I may as well jump in. Several years ago before I moved to Washington, I was guided on the Cowlitz by Steve Buckner. He lives near the river and knows it well. Even though I didn't catch a steelhead that day, he made it fun and memorable.

Jerry French. He and Ed Ward fished the Skagit literally every single day for years, fishing Skagit heads wayyyy before it became cool. He now guides the OP and Skagit. If you want to learn switch rod techniques there is no better guide in this state. Can be reached at opskagit.com.

Porter

next question might be what rod? reel? line? Haha! These q's get so many different responses...but some appear to consistent..who are they? Hmm.

I booked a day with Mike Sturza on the Cowlitz river mid July. Thank you all for your help and advice. Hopefully I will have a pretty picture to post soon!

Thanks and tight lines to you all.

Rob Allen

Jerry French. He and Ed Ward fished the Skagit literally every single day for years, fishing Skagit heads wayyyy before it became cool. He now guides the OP and Skagit. If you want to learn switch rod techniques there is no better guide in this state. Can be reached at opskagit.com.

Skagit heads aren't cool and never have been. useful but not cool.. double taper on a 10 ft single hander..... that's cool.

Latest posts