SBS Quigley's Struggling Drake SBS

ScottP

Tied here as a western green drake; original tied with olive-dyed grizzly wings and a little Krystal Flash in the shuck. All the green drakes I've seen had darker wings, so I went with the dun; the KF I forgot until I spun the deer hair.

hook - TMC 5212 #10
thread - UTC 140 olive green/MFC 8/0 olive
shuck - Congo Hair brown
rib - poly yarn yellow
rear body - UTC 140 olive green
mid body - deer hair olive spun/clipped
wing - hen hackle tips dun
hackle - olive-dyed grizzly

mash barb; start thread at 2/3 mark, wrap back to point above barb

tie in shuck

tie in rib (I used a few fibers, twisted into a rope), wrap forward and tie off at 1/3 mark

clean a clump of deer hair, trim tips, tie in with 2 soft loops and spin; tie off thread and trim

flip it over, lay razor blade on eye to establish belly and push straight back

trim a tight pfd

re-start thread (switch to the 8/0); select a pair of hackle tips (gap width, opposed)

measure for length (shank), tie in

trim butts, pull tips up and set with thread wraps (Figure-8 between is optional)

tie in hackle

wrap hackle, tie off, trim tip, half hitch x 2, SHHAN

full frontal

clip hackle underneath for a flush-floater (optional)

Regards,
Scott

ScottP

Rob,

Thanks. I spent the past 2 days beating my head against the wall working on 2 what I thought were easier patterns and never did get them right. Got up this morning and gave this a try and it turned out okay - the deer hair section is a little bit too long, but the wings came together first try, which usually doesn't happen for me with hackle tips.

Regards,
Scott

ScottP

Nicely done... how have they fished for you?
To tell the truth I'd never even heard of the fly until the other day; just thought it looked like a neat one to tie. Bob Quigley designed some pretty effective flies, so I figure there's a good probability it'll work.

Regards,
Scott

freestoneangler

Not to be confused with Freestone
Well, one thing for sure is that it will float like a cork and would allow liberal use of sink-agent on the trailing shuck to keep its derriere underwater.