Trophy Wife

tinman207

I fished it with a guide in an eastern WA river and missed one slam as I was pounding a cut bank and stripping it really fast away. I was swinging down through a tailout and as my fly swung out into the shallow riffle below me I saw a huge V wake closing in and slammed it, at the same time I ripped it out of it's mouth. Our guide had a great vantage point and told me I don't want to see the fish I missed.
I have a ton to learn about fishing streamers, but it was pretty awesome, as I don't see a lot of follows like that over the years fishing nymphs. I have definitely never seen a trout that big travel that far out of its hiding hole to chase something down.
I tied a bunch of multi-colored bunny leeches as well, and hit a ton of bows and browns, it was a blast. I'm definitely going to keep experimenting with these bunnys too. WP_20140707_003.jpg

tinman207

No, but they are really basic. I cut the top strip twice the length of the shank, and tie it in above the bend leaving enough to reach to the eye. Then fold it back and tie in the bottom color with crosscut bunny strip....palmer it forward and tie off. Then part the palmered bunny and bring the top strip forward to behind the eye Matuka style and tie it off...whip finish and glue eyes on. I wrap the shank with lead to weight it, and have also tied them with dumbell eyes. I can take a SBS if you want, but it's pretty basic. I've been tying those for a friend forever who says they are his absolute favorite to use, but never had fished them myself.

tinman207

That Ghetto tramp is HUGE! I found a pic of a huge muskie with that thing hanging out of its mouth.
The Legs for Days is on my list to try and tie. I am also looking for a SBS on Galloup's Nancy P., but haven't been able to find one.

I fished it with a guide in an eastern WA river and missed one slam as I was pounding a cut bank and stripping it really fast away. I was swinging down through a tailout and as my fly swung out into the shallow riffle below me I saw a huge V wake closing in and slammed it, at the same time I ripped it out of it's mouth. Our guide had a great vantage point and told me I don't want to see the fish I missed.
I have a ton to learn about fishing streamers, but it was pretty awesome, as I don't see a lot of follows like that over the years fishing nymphs. I have definitely never seen a trout that big travel that far out of its hiding hole to chase something down.
I tied a bunch of multi-colored bunny leeches as well, and hit a ton of bows and browns, it was a blast. I'm definitely going to keep experimenting with these bunnys too. View attachment 44131

Those are pretty much what I fished on rivers when streamer fishing... work real good for Browns and Bull Trout love them as well and big rainbows never held back on those either... those will generally attracted the big boys and girls. Olive and yellow works well too.

That Ghetto tramp is HUGE! I found a pic of a huge muskie with that thing hanging out of its mouth.
The Legs for Days is on my list to try and tie. I am also looking for a SBS on Galloup's Nancy P., but haven't been able to find one.
Frankenfly has a video post by Brian Weiss of Fly fishing the Omari's, if you are still looking for one.

Latest posts