Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
Washington state schizophrenia at its best. It did not state as such in the article, but is this in anyway part of mitigation from the power companies?

Reactions: John smith

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
WDFW has operated a hatchery Chinook salmon program at Tumwater Falls for many decades. Lacking an onsite hatchery, eggs are taken from returning adult broodstock and then trucked to George Adams hatchery on the Skokomish River north of Shelton for incubation, with the fry being returned to Tumwater for release in the spring. The idea for this hatchery is to locate the entire operation at a single site. Whether this is actually worth the $22 million cost is the questions that should be discussed.

These are Chinook salmon of the ubiquitous Green River hatchery stock. The harvest benefits accrue primarily to the BC fishery, with lesser numbers of fish contributing to the PS recreational and treaty commercial fishery. I don't know if there is any benefit:cost analysis for this proposal. I suspect not because an objective one would conclude that it amounts to a waste of taxpayer dollars.

This hatchery program is purely for enhancement, and not very much at that. It is in no way mitigation by or for power companies.

Sg

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
WDFW has operated a hatchery Chinook salmon program at Tumwater Falls for many decades. Lacking an onsite hatchery, eggs are taken from returning adult broodstock and then trucked to George Adams hatchery on the Skokomish River north of Shelton for incubation, with the fry being returned to Tumwater for release in the spring. The idea for this hatchery is to locate the entire operation at a single site. Whether this is actually worth the $22 million cost is the questions that should be discussed.

These are Chinook salmon of the ubiquitous Green River hatchery stock. The harvest benefits accrue primarily to the BC fishery, with lesser numbers of fish contributing to the PS recreational and treaty commercial fishery. I don't know if there is any benefit:cost analysis for this proposal. I suspect not because an objective one would conclude that it amounts to a waste of taxpayer dollars.

This hatchery program is purely for enhancement, and not very much at that. It is in no way mitigation by or for power companies.

Sg
This is a great part of why I oppose this hatchery idea. Another reason is that this estuary is under consideration for restoration. That money should go into a complete habitat restoration effort there. Returning that area to viable rearing habitat for native juvenile salmon, cutthroat and steelhead, and other species, would be a far better use of that funding. The need for habitat restoration everywhere on Washington's marine shorelines is dire. And it is easy to see the immediate benefits of such projects as well. For more information on the effort to restore this estuary, see here: http://www.deschutesestuary.org/

·
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Estuary Pros & Cons

Pros: All right so we take out the the 5th ave dam. Then let mother natures salty water cure the cesspool that is Capital lake. Yes there would be more to the restoration than dam removal but thats the point of contention as far as moving this super common sense plan forward

Cons:
The Capital building won't look as picturesque on ebb tide
Marina dredging costs increase. I get that state tax pays for Port of Olympia dredging, but private marinas? That seems to me like a cost of doing business?

I love that DOE spent money on a study to dredge Capital lake down to 300 ft.

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
It seems as if no one in the gov wants to make a decision as it keeps getting delayed by having more meetings or commissioning more studies/analyses.
This is the same strategy that was employed by those who opposed the Elwha River dams removals. They argued that it would be too expensive. And by delaying the process, they drove the ultimate cost way over what the original plan would have cost. Just another crummy political ploy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.