Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
The science (or art?) of rod design has advanced to the point where the action of a four-piece rod can be designed to be identical to that of a two-piece and the weight differential is insignificant. I find four-piece rods to be more convenient from the standpoint of storage and transport and, since there is no obvious disadvantage, I doubt that I will ever buy another two-piece rod.

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
I have 4 2 piece rods and 3 4 piece rods. I use the 4 piece rods over the 2 piece rods. I believe that I prefer the 4 piece rods over the 2 piece rods as they are easier to carry around in my truck. And they hide better in it.

·
screw work lets fish
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The science (or art?) of rod design has advanced to the point where the action of a four-piece rod can be designed to be identical to that of a two-piece and the weight differential is insignificant. I find four-piece rods to be more convenient from the standpoint of storage and transport and, since there is no obvious disadvantage, I doubt that I will ever buy another two-piece rod.
This is my thinking as well.Both of the 4 piece rods I own are recently purchased.I think that I will be replaceing my2's for 4's.

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
John, I just bought a new 2 pc rod yesterday. I had a choice of either 2 or 4 pc but prefer the 2 piece. Here is my take on it and I realize I am probably very much in the minority. With 2's there is only one joint that can ever work loose, with 4's there are 3 places the rod can loosen under duress. If you have ever seen a guy cast a fly only to have a section of the rod follow the fly you are aware that it can and does happen. I keep hearing that 4's cast just as well as 2's but the physics of it say it just can't happen. Three ferules instead of one dictate that the 4's have two more dead spots than the 2's. A 4 pc in the same model as a 2 pc will always weigh more however slightly. And the 4's always cost more. They are like an erector set to put together and disassemble.

I have several 4 pc rods but they just don't endear themselves to me the way the 2 pc rods do. If you travel by air 4's are probably the way to go. But since I have seen 3 aircraft crashes happen and survived a 4th one I don't fly anymore-John Madden's disease. So travel is just not an issue because my 2's easily fit in a pickup or SUV.

I think the 4pc idea is a good one that meets the needs of a lot of people but to get rid of those sweet casting 2's just to 'upgrade' is just BS. Another good marketing idea like selling 6,500# SUV's to soccer moms to haul 87# kids to the practice field.

I have even seen 6 pc rods advertised but that is just getting a little too close to Popeils Pocket Fisherman for my taste. Put a check in the "2" column for me.

Ive

·
Willing to learn anything...
302 Posts
I have a mix but have not purchased a two piece rod in at least 5 years. A 4 piece rod is easier to travel with , easier to hide, easier to monage, easier to re-sell and they cast just as well. Technology has bridged the gap. Having said that, I prefere a fast rod in just about all conditions and that is primarily what I own so I am comparing similar rods from that standpoint.
Bottom line, if it feels good........use it.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
The concept of "dead spots" is a holdover from the days of bamboo and early fiberglass and graphite rods when inflexible metal ferrules were still used. take any modern graphite rod, press the tip against the ground and look at the curve of the rod; you won't see any "dead spots", the rod should exhibit a smooth curve without any straight sections. That said, what's wrong with "dead spots'? I have a number of metal-ferruled cane rods featuring stiff, nickel-silver ferrules that bend little if at all, and yet provide superb casting qualities.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Today there is no difference in action between 2 and 4 section rods. I still have some older rods that are two section that I love to fish but the disadvantage is when I travel. Here is where 4 sections rule. Two section rods are more cost effective to produce and provide the user a cost savings. Fish what you love.

·
"Ride'n Dirty."
1,631 Posts
Before I even knew what the topic was I was thinking 4! Is that bad? Anyway, I like 4 better for the already mentioned reasons.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Most of my rods are 4 pc because I have purchased them for travel. When I started flyfishing, there were few 4 pc rods on the market and they were REALLY expensive. As I have grown with the sport, I have switched to 4 pc because of the quality and availability but as always, the first rod that goes in my truck when I go trout fishing is my Sage 2pc. 490 LL. They are nolonger made but it is by far the best rod I have ever owned for trout fishing.

·
Chasing the Magic
122 Posts
I work for a rod blank manufacturer.

If you are after true performance:

a one piece rod will perform better than a two piece and
a two piece rod will perform better than a four piece.

90 percent of us fly anglers wouldn't be able to feel the performance difference between a one piece and a four piece.

Jon

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I work for a rod blank manufacturer.

If you are after true performance:

a one piece rod will perform better than a two piece and
a two piece rod will perform better than a four piece.

90 percent of us fly anglers wouldn't be able to feel the performance difference between a one piece and a four piece.

Jon
You had me till the 90 part. Truth be known 99 is even too generous and, for the few who could tell the difference and aren't lying about it, that difference still wouldn't add a single trout to the net. See Ive's post...the true difference in casting performance is a simple matter of 2 moving parts vs 4, and paraffin will only solve part of it. I use the same 4 pc rod all year and never break it into more than 2. Only reason I own it is Rajeff doesn't offer the echo2 in a 2pc. I hate how often I have to "true it up" in a single outing. However, at the very least, a little paraffin reduces the fly-away problem with the tip almost to zero.

Anyhow I don't see it as better vs worse. Just depends on your own habits and how you fish. And if you want a true pack rod go with 7 or 8 pcs. Otherwise...

If you don't need to hop a plane to fish, and you actually cast with it.....2pc. If you fish often in far away places, or you prefer to troll or stare at a bobber all day.....4pc. Oh, and if your rod never leaves the lake cabin, by all means.....1pc.

·
Robert
3,012 Posts
IMHO Jon and FF are spot on. I also have the "true up" issue that FF mentioned with certain 4-piece premium rods that just doesn't seem to be an issue with my 2-piece rods. I'll try the paraffin. I've bought several premium rods on the aftermarket and wont hesitate to pull the trigger on a 2-piece. Price is usually substantially less and 90% of my travel is land based where the extra length is not an issue. Favorite big trout/steelhead rod is a 2-pc. Scott G in a 9'-6". Custom build never used that I got for $160 delivered to me. Never have to realign the guides after initial set up as my 4-piece rods, just saying.

You had me till the 90 part. Truth be known 99 is even too generous and, for the few who could tell the difference and aren't lying about it, that difference still wouldn't add a single trout to the net. See Ive's post...the true difference in casting performance is a simple matter of 2 moving parts vs 4, and parafin will only solve part of it. I use the same 4 pc rod all year and never break it into more than 2. Only reason I own it is Rajeff doesn't offer the echo2 in a 2pc. I hate how often I have to "true it up" in a single outing. However, at the very least, a little parafin reduces the fly-away problem with the tip almost to zero.

Anyhow I don't see it as better vs worse. Just depends on your own habits and how you fish. And if you want a true pack rod go with 7 or 8 pcs. Otherwise...

If you don't need to hop a plane to fish, and you actually cast with it.....2pc. If you fish often in far away places, or you prefer to troll or stare at a bobber all day.....4pc. Oh, and if your rod never leaves the lake cabin, by all means.....1pc.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
One other issue that hasn't been mentioned is that you can get good deals on 2pc rods periodically, especially the blanks. For example, I just built a Winston 7'6" 2pc 4wt for under $250. That is for everything from nickle silver reel seat to REC recoil single foot guides. That is a $650 +/-$$ rod for way less than half price. I will probably not ever take it backpacking, but I don't do much of that anyway.
So 2pc rods may allow you to get a better rod than you might normally be able to afford.

·
screw work lets fish
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All great points!The one thing I don't understand is the 4 piece rods twisting.The only rods that I have that problem with is my spey rods.I think that it happens with the 2 -handers because of all the torque that you put into those rods while casting.Do you really put enough torque on a single hander to twist it like that or is it something else?I do use rod wax on all my rods.

john

·
Flyslinger
1,937 Posts
All of my rods are 4 pc. I don't have a problem with alignment of the sections. When I was practicing for my certification i would make 300=400 casts up to 85 ' with my 6 wt and don't remember ever realigning the sections.
4 pc rods are my favorite the only two pc rod I have is a 7' 6" 4 wt that I bought from Mike Ediger.
My vote is 4 pc rods.
Blessings
jesse

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.