Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
Water velocity exiting turbine draft tubes is attractive to steelhead. One problem that can occur is the shear zone that develops between the fast water coming from the draft tube and adjacent slow or still water. The other thing that can happen is if a turbine trips off line. Instead of being under load and removing most of the energy from the water it can go into a free spin. A fish caught it that would be like getting shot from a cannon.

This seems so typical of the Corps - make a change at a project and not bother to think about the effect that change might have on fish, until after it effects them.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
I am with everyone that any fish is a loss, but if one takes the devil's advocate on these things..the dam is serving some purpose I suppose for something well intended to one party--or us all as electricity or irrigation for crops to feed our kids and us...and the title could easily have read "200 wild steelhead die in the Hoh for hero shots only" and that is zero good for anything but egos.
I totally see the point of pointing it out, but always good for us to be aware what we do when we catch and release more than a fish or two a day. I really cringe when I read the reports of guys catch and releasing 20-30+ sea runs a day. Why? Give the fish a break. Save that for a planter lake.

Off my soapbox.

I practice many no catch days : )

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
I'm thinking @Tailwater would make a great forum name.

the title could easily have read "200 wild steelhead die in the Hoh for hero shots only" and that is zero good for anything but egos.
That's a good point. Certainly fish do die that have been C&R and perhaps more than some would be willing to admit. We've all seen the GoPro video clips on the web and the question one must ask is "just how much more of this goes on"?Since we don't see what happens to the fish after they swim away, who really knows. There have been fairly recent rule changes enacted that seek to minimize loss after the release -- but like driving speed limits, it seems a good many simply ignore them.

Reactions: gjq

·
Geriatric Skagit Swinger
8,260 Posts
I'm thinking @Tailwater would make a great forum name.

That's a good point. Certainly fish do die that have been C&R and perhaps more than some would be willing to admit. We've all seen the GoPro video clips on the web and the question one must ask is "just how much more of this goes on"?Since we don't see what happens to the fish after they swim away, who really knows. There have been fairly recent rule changes enacted that seek to minimize loss after the release -- but like driving speed limits, it seems a good many simply ignore them.
And certainly some folks will write a paragraph of mostly conjecture and opinion and try to pass it off as truth.

·
69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E
2,703 Posts
I am with everyone that any fish is a loss, but if one takes the devil's advocate on these things..the dam is serving some purpose I suppose for something well intended to one party--or us all as electricity or irrigation for crops to feed our kids and us...and the title could easily have read "200 wild steelhead die in the Hoh for hero shots only" and that is zero good for anything but egos.
I totally see the point of pointing it out, but always good for us to be aware what we do when we catch and release more than a fish or two a day. I really cringe when I read the reports of guys catch and releasing 20-30+ sea runs a day. Why? Give the fish a break. Save that for a planter lake.

Off my soapbox.

I practice many no catch days : )
Dworshak was a pork project. Wiped out a huge elk overwintering area and the biggest (size, not numbers) race of summer steelhead on the planet. But on the good side it does provide a place to catch and keep 25 6" Kokanee...wheee!

The USACE has never cared about fisheries, beyond what some law, court or other agency forced them to. The USACE builds things, end of mission.

Reactions: 5119

·
Geriatric Skagit Swinger
8,260 Posts
more than some would be willing to admit.
Conjecture.
"just how much more of this goes on"?Since we don't see what happens to the fish after they swim away, who really knows.
Conjecture.
but like driving speed limits, it seems a good many simply ignore them.
Conjecture.
There have been fairly recent rule changes enacted that seek to minimize loss after the release
Opinion.
Certainly fish do die that have been C&R
Fact.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.