Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Dates for 2010 Hoh down

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
I can't officially take earned vacation until April with my job conversion...probation...what the hell is that. I'll find a way. I'm remembering most favored mid to late March. I'll find a way! Thanks Jeff. One brief conversation and you got the post up. You are one serious dude! This one is gonna be a long one! Whenever it is, I'll find a way.

·
Resident Swinger
1,773 Posts
Right on Jeff!! My vote is for the first week in March as I got a baby on the way for late March. I was just thinking about this last week and am happy to see you are as well. I would even vote for sometime in Feb. but I'm not going to be too picky as I might not even get to be there. Most likely a wait and see game for me.

Now we gotta get Jerry on da Hoh Boat! I still think about the piece of Rib Eye!!! :beer2:

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
Now we gotta get Jerry on da Hoh Boat! I still think about the piece of Rib Eye!!! :beer2:
Depends on when it is. I think I have vacation in March. But could arrange a long weekend trip. I guess everyone liked the food and especially the ribeye. If I go Ill cook.

·
A collector never stops collecting!
4,895 Posts

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
I assume that's at the HOH river, what does it intail.since it seems those replying know what it's about maybe the rest of us aren't supposed to know. Does it require an invitation? Just curious, had my doubts it was a square dance. most of you just don't seem the type thanks Bob

·
Sculpin Enterprises
3,461 Posts
Bob,
It is several-day get together on the Hoh at a time when river levels are often conducive to flyfishing and the native steelhead are in and willing to play. It entails meeting some of the faces behind the avatars, eating some creative camp food, excessive drinking, and some fishing. It is a come-one, come-all affair. Bring a positive, contributing attitude, much like the board in general.
Steve

·
Fly Guy Eat Pie
460 Posts
So if a guy like myself were to want to stop by and meet some folks just for the day, would this be allowed? I don't get another set of vacation time for awhile past March so I won't be able to take days off but perhaps I may come out early morning Saturday or Sunday and do some fishing? Also...what can one expect to be catching in March on the Hoh? will a 6wt suffice? perhaps I'll splurge on a 8wt before March, but highly unlikely since I just bought my 6wt...

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
They let me come last year and irritate them one and all. I'd agree that a 6wt is too little if you get into one. Maybe the gear demo program if you ask Mr. Scoones nicely?

As for floatation, I have one solo pontoon and now one two man pontoon. One or both should be in use. Depending on what sections are to be rowed those two boats could be floating. (Still unsure if I'm canyon ready from Willoughby to Oxbow, but the rest I've done a time or few.)

·
1,693 Posts
Bob,
It is several-day get together on the Hoh at a time when river levels are often conducive to flyfishing and the native steelhead are in and willing to play. It entails meeting some of the faces behind the avatars, eating some creative camp food, excessive drinking, and some fishing. It is a come-one, come-all affair. Bring a positive, contributing attitude, much like the board in general.
Steve
I've messed this up twice so I'll try again. Sounds good to me. Do they set up a base at a campground or launch and the others stay in rented rooms? I'll see If my son can get off and take the camper. I could allways tent it if neccessary, done that before. It will be good to meet a few faces to put with those words we write. I'll have to practise my casting and drinking to keep up my end of things. The eating shouldn't be a problem and I aught to be able to come up with an attitude easilly enough. I'll mark my calendar so I watch for the week that's scheduled. Thanks for the Info.Bob

·
Sculpin Enterprises
3,461 Posts
Bob,
Sounds like you've got the right attitude part down cold. Speaking of cold, some folks do camp, often at a place like the Oxbow campground on the Hoh as a central meeting/partying point. But there are other options that will be discussed as the dates come closer. Those that don't want to camp take advantage of the indoor heating and soft beds in Forks. Of course, spring snowmelt (if we accumulate much snow in an El Nino year) can ruin the best-laid plans of EARLY DECEMBER!!!

Steve

·
1,693 Posts
That's about what it should sound like I would guess. If I have to drive the stakes through the snow then I don't think I'll stay more than one day, and save the time for fishing. If the snow melt has the river too high I have a nice warm home and some good books and magazines that have great fishing tales in them. Other wise we'll hope to not have to face that and can get to know more friends that we haven't met yet. We've got a little time to fill in the meantime so have fun. stay warm, fish hard. Bob

1 - 20 of 109 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.