Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at putting a Redington RS2 3/4 reel with 5 wt line on a 5 wt. rod. The guy I bought the reel from said the Redington's were slightly heavier and that this would create better balance. Does this guy know what he is talking about? These reels were only $39 at bluequillangler.com!! Any opinions out there? Don't answer that. What does everyone think about this approach?

·
Registered
385 Posts
it all depends on the quarry your after. the reel, if loaded with a "gel-spun" type backing it should be fine for line capacity with a 5wt line, the drag should be gauged on a specific case type of position. sometimes you'll be after fish in the 12"-16" range with a 5wt., where the drag will more than be sufficiant. On the other hand you can fish for Salmon and Steelhead with your 5wt. and the drag might be questionable, it all depends on what you are after. As for the weight, for comparison only, I have a Sage 3400D and this reel is one of the heaviest in its class at 7.4oz., the RS2 in that same class (7/8), has a weight of 6.9oz., from that standpoint your reel is a 1/2oz. under the one of the heaviest in its class. To end all of this for $40.00, you got a smokin' deal. have fun with it, and for what you paid i'd put the screws to it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.