Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
When I have had a real scale, like a boga or one of those great scale - in - the - net things, to weigh steelhead or large trout I have always found that the traditional salmon calculators (there are about 1000 of them on the web) underweight steelhead but are pretty accurate on salmon and trout from lakes. For example, this past fall I taped a buck steelhead at 36 x 18; most calculators said that was about 15.5 or 16 pounds, when in fact I weighed the fish prior to release at 18 pounds in the net. (For all you people who will scream "bad C&R practices" this took about 2 seconds)

I'm not saying you can always add a pound or two, but I am saying that different fish have different densities / muscles and so the calculators are pretty ineffective for some species.

Circlespey

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
in order for us here at washington flyfishing forum to determine the exact weight of your steelhead you should probably let us know exactly where you caught it (gps coordinates would be helpful) what day, time of day, depth and color and temp of water, fly, presentation, and where else near there you reccomend catching steelhead that size.:smokin ;)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hey, everybody gets lucky once in a while. If you want definite coordinates check out my gallery of pics from the Skeena system. Those rivers are full of fish like that.

As for around here, if I knew all that stuff, I can promise that you would be the FIRST to know.

Circlespey

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.