Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Retired Mod
10,917 Posts
This sucks!!!!!!!!!!!

You had to bring up AK. Man. I have it made if I can ever get up there. I've had countless invites to go, but can't get summer vacation off. Basically, where I work, you bid vacation by seniority. With 14+ years in, May-Sept is booked. So I get Oct/Nov, and Jan-very early May.

But, here's my deal, My Dad is lifelong friends/coworkers with the Trout Brothers (Troutfitters lodge aka the Andreas family) and have been offered free trips when I can get up there. Then, my best friend for life is a flight attendant for Alaska Airlines. And she lives up north of Anchorage. What's the bennie of that besides a buddy pass? Her hubby is a bush pilot with float plane and piper cub. Plus, he likes me and has offered to fly me to some remote streams he's never seen guys fishing while he's stopped there. In fact, he has to fly in to pick her up when she's done with a flight. No road service to her town (can't remember name off hand).

BUT I CAN'T GET THE TIME OFF TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know there's other fishing during off season, but I want to fish for all the main species at once. There are a few guys ready to retire, maybe in the next 5 years I'll get summer vacation. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :THUMBSUP

· Retired Mod
10,917 Posts
This sucks!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey leak, I work for UPS. All goes by seniority with the big brown. With seniority comes bennies. That includes first dibs on vacation. Most guys I work with have 25+ years, so all will be gone in next 5 years or so. So I'll have summer vacations hopefully soon.

Sotar makes damned good tubes. I have Aire, only because I bought it back in 89' and weren't many tube makers then. My frame is 10' long and 4' wide inside tube diameters. Can run 3-4 guys. Whole thing soaking wet is about 200#'s +(frame/tubes, etc). Frame is about 100#'s.

My friend's hubby says there is some good fishing in Sept, but the really nice fish are in july/aug. WHen he suggests I come, plus flying is easier to dictate. I guess where they are at gets a bit hairy starting in Sept. Unreliable. He doesn't mind flying in it, but doesn't like passengers (since he's usually more cargo then passengers).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.